California electric rates are getting ridiculous

Page 4 of 9

Union Pacific denied a request from the Mayor just last year. A runaway tanker with 30,000 gallons of chlorine.
.."But when officials like Mayor Oscar Goodman asked for basic notification, letting the valley know when dangerous stuff was heading our way, the railroad declined. Since this is interstate commerce, there's nothing local governments can do about it."
- Listen to all of the 911 calls
"We just had a tanker come flying by the railroad tracks. No locomotive at all. It was doing 35 to 40 miles an hour," said a caller to 911. The operators who took the first calls seemed mystified.
"I've got a runaway rail car going north," said the caller.
"What's it running away on?" asked the operator.
"The railroad tracks. There is no, uh, head on the train," said the caller.
The 8th call to police was from the railroad. It was an embarrassing admission. "Yeah, we just had a runaway rail car and we believe it's loaded with chlorine," said the Union Pacific caller.
"Do you have sight of it?" asked the operator.
"No, we lost sight of it but we are attempting to run it down right now," said the Union Pacific caller.
A tanker car filled with 30,000 gallons of deadly chlorine sped all the way across the Las Vegas valley and stopped only because it eventually rolled uphill.
The fact that it did not slam into a train parked on the tracks is considered miraculous by many. A later study estimated it could have killed up to 90,000 people if it had derailed in the middle of town.
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/Story.asp?s 31836

kill a million. If, if, if. If's don't count.

How does that happen?!!
..explain it to me Lucy; hurry up, I have Bongo lessons....

Hey, I said "if" Just like that car that crashed in front of the school at 3 Am. If it happened at the time the kids were lined up to go in, they would have been killed.
That is one of the fundamental flaws with the logic of anti-nuclear fools. Their entire argument depends on IFs... what if this happens, what if that happens. Whereas current coal and fossil fuel technology is already causing environmental damage and health problems, guaranteed.
Oren wrote: ...

There's one of the kinds of things to worry about a whole lot more than Yucca Mountain.
Even if a car were to escape w/ a spent fuel cask, the design is such even if it were hit, nothing would have happened to the fuel cask. But, since all shipments are made w/ escorts, etc., as opposed to simply standard freight shipments, the likelihood is vanishingly small such and event would happen.
dpb wrote: ...

http://www.nrc.gov/materials/transportation/shipping.html
Also of possible interest
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/commission/secys/2000/secy2000-0042/2000-0042scy.html

So, just who are these elite forces?

Oren wrote:

Moonlighting black helicopter pilots, of course.

How much for a prisoner transport? Always a use for choppers!
Oren wrote: ...

I guess familiarity helps here -- 30 years primarily in commercial power generation with BSNE and MS Physics w/ an emphasis on nuclear energy degrees means makes for not being scared and recognizing what is fearmongering and what is at least a rational argument.
Having a fair amount of that 30 years also being in the Oak Ridge area and also doing a fair amount of consulting to DOE at the various facilities including some review studies of vendor cask licensing design and analysis submittals and knowing many of the other individuals at Sandia, Los Alamos, Savannah River, Argonne, ..., on a professional basis concern over their credentials and integrity is not a concern of mine.
Without that background and given the general level of political doubletalk I can understand skepticism from the pronouncement of politicos. The underlying questions here, however, aren't actually political.
As a comforting thought, there are three basic rules for radiation exposure protection -- time, shielding, distance. You have the cheapest and easiest to obtain one going for you--distance. :)
dpb wrote:

"dpb", let me "translate" your recitation of experience: BSNE likely via US military/Navy(?) with a "terminal" MS (likely from some university with close ties to military and which hands out MS degrees essentially for class attendance)-- no thesis, no true specialization. The rest of your experience is osmotic ("knowing many of the other individuals") and a legacy of having served the industry well while in your military position (probably "procurement") in active duty so that when you retired, you were rewarded by the industry with some harmless but lucrative "consulting" positions. In short, you are a low-level industry shill.
That explains your bias and inability to provide objective support for your assertions.
Erma1ina wrote:

No, military at all...
BSNE, Kansas State Univerisity MS Physics, Lynchburg

Wrong. Thesis.

Specialization was incore instrumentation and reactor core design.

No military role. 10 years design then internal R&D w/ reactor vendor.
20+ years consulting to various utility clients including many nuclear utilities and DOE, NRC, ORNL. Author of many technical reports, referenced in at least one widely used text.
Last 10 years roughly with EPRI (formerly known as Electric Power Research Institute) Instrumentation & Control Center at the Kingtston Fossil Plant. Last major project before retiring was development of an online pulverized coal flow instrument based on advanced nonlinear signal processing.
Your estimate is wrong on all counts.

dpb wrote:

Hmmm.
So you say.
Funny. Your way of presenting an argument doesn't match the mathematicians (my area) or physicists I've worked with over the years. I think you've deserted any scientific roots you may have had and simply become a freelancing industry tout.
BTW, I did consulting (computer systems design) for EPRI in the SF Bay area a "while ago". LOL.
Erma1ina wrote: ...

So I say.

Funny. Your personal attacks and arguments have had little resemblance to a mathematical treatise.
ahr is not a suitable forum for detailed scientific or engineering writing--although specific opinions offered have been based on direct experience/knowledge and certain comments noted as being recollections were later verified as fundamentally correct.
Ermina, your writings don't come across like someone with understanding of advanced mathematics or theoretical physics. Your personal insults are pretty sharp, but I haven't seen you put much effort into applying scienctific knowledge in these conversations.
dpb wrote:

Is that Lynchburg College in Lynchburg Virginia?

Thanks for thought. What about this report?
.."The DOE suffered serious credibility setbacks when e-mails written by U.S. Geological Survey employees working on the Yucca Mountain project became public, indicating that documents related to climate and water infiltration studies had been falsified."
http://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/information/3286.htm
dpb wrote:

We already have more nuclear waste waiting to be disposed of that can be put into the Yucca Mountain site if it were opened tomorrow and it is not ready to be opened. Political or Technical, it is a problem that must be addressed before it becomes a disaster not after.