California electric rates are getting ridiculous

Page 1 of 9
I just received a notice from California Edison that Tier 3, 4 and 5 rates are increasing AGAIN in the first quarter of 2009. My electric bill is typically $400 a month. I don't think very many people fall into Tier 1 or 2. Here's what really pisses me off: the electric utilities fail to take advantage of clean nuclear power. They keep wasting our money on natural gas, wind power, and all kinds of inefficient "green" ideas but they are blind to nuclear power. If we had nuclear power we'd only be paying a fraction of the price and it would be good for the environment!!

BFD, that is meaningless to all of us outside of CA. What is the rate per kW hour? I'm paying 18.
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:25:38 -0800, "scorpster"
getting ridiculous:

Oil, gas & coal are getting pretty expensive.
On 12/4/2008 5:06 AM Caesar Romano spake thus:

Oil? Really? Bloomberg says that oil is projected to hit somewhere around $20/bbl come January.
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 15:22:01 -0800, David Nebenzahl

One spinster today suggested gas would fall to $1.00 per gallon at the pump when we hit bottom.

More important, how long will it stay there? Could be back to $160 in July. For one of our warehouses, I bought 1000 gallons and thought I did good because the price dropped to $3.50 when I had it delivered. Have not even use it yet, but will tomorrow. I'm going to wait until January to get more and may fill the tank at that time, about 2000 gallons.
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 15:22:01 -0800, David Nebenzahl
-snip-

Would that be the same Bloomberg that predicted $200 by the end of the year last January? That predicting the future thing hasn't ever worked out well for mere mortals.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yes. Predicting the past is the only reliable course. Forget all those wacky scientists with their pussified "theories" that predict the future.
I'm surprised we aren't still living in trees -- of course that's only if you believe in evolution.
LOL.

When I lived in California I spent very little time inside. Although rates (per KWH) were very high, my bill was reasonable unless I used the electric ceiling heat. I now used 5X that amount, but I'm in a much larger house and rates are lower.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

<anti babble deleted>
Nuclear energy is "green", both safe and non polluting and given proper reprocessing, largely renewable.
Nuclear is also the only source that is currently viable at the scale necessary to eliminate coal and nat gas fueled generation, and further to provide subsidized charging electricity for electric/hybrid vehicles to further reduce oil consumption.
Nuclear is the only viable intermediate source that can allow a significant shift away from fossil fuels *now* while the technologies for other sources such as solar, wind, hydro and tidal develop further to overcome the significant issues they currently have, largely the utility scale energy storage capabilities required given the intermittent generation of most of those sources.

plus you have to remember that the greenies are against dams, so that kills hydropower,and they are against windmills because they kill birds. They also are against the power lines necessary to distribute the electric power from remote windfarms.(or any other power generating source...)
Their concept is that you DO WITHOUT;Reduce your lifestyle.
Meanwhile Russia,Iran,Venezuela,other countries all are proceeding with new nuclear powerplants.
Nebenzahl is just a Luddite.
MORE nuclear power,NOW!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Of all the forms of power generation, hydroelectric is the most hazardous. Dams seldom fail, but when they do, they fail catastrophically!
Every time someone starts ranting about extreme conservation, getting back to a simpler time, the integrity of the "noble savage" lifestyle, and being "at one" with nature, I have but one word:
Dentistry.
limited.usenetmonster.com:

You should have put it slightly differently. Their concept is that YOU DO WITHOUT just like Gore wanted everyone (But Him) to do without while he continued to burn more energy that any 50 other people in the country. They never want to look in the mirror at their own consumption but are quick to ask YOU to sacrifice.
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:25:38 -0800, scorpster wrote:

I seem to recall that back in the Carter or Regan era there was an attempt to build a fission plant in some mid-western state and the Lawyer costs on both sides ran way more than the cost of actually building the electrical plant. CBS's 60 minutes did a massive hatchet job on the building plans for that power plant.
Teachers in grade school and middle school were teaching the evils of fission power for generation of electrical power at this time. One teacher tried to organize a class room writing exercises asking the power plant not be build. (IIRC, I think this occurred in Madison, Wisconsin but the plant was in another state, maybe Illinois)
Any discussion on the nuclear fission (boiling water by splitting heavy atoms) *must* include cost of lawyers, cost anti-nuke media counter- attacks by "Press-Spokespersons," and cost of lobbyist at the Federal, State, and local levels. very $$$$$
You think your cost of electricity is high now? Just wait until the lawyer's invoice from at least 1/3 of the lawyers in the San Francisco Bay area comes in.
Just my opinion.
Phil Again wrote:

Greenies throw up any smoke screen they can think of. I remember a big objection here was heat from reactor would raise water temperature and hurt the fishies. Now, a few decades later, the same people are crying about pollution from the big coal generator we have, which would have never been needed if we got the nuke plant ;(
Frank wrote:

They raised the same objection about a NG-powered generating plant here. The heated water (which travels about a mile through a canal to the bay) would kill every living marine animal from Galveston to Mexico!
Turns out, the animals are not stupid! Those that don't like warm water go elsewhere. Those that DO like warm water (i.e., shrimp) migrate to the discharge canal. Those that like the things that like warm water (i.e., redfish) follow the shrimp and the fishermen follow them. Somedays it's shoulder-to-shoulder along the banks of the canal!
clipped

I'm not a "greenie", I'm just a person who would like to conserve supplies of food, water and fuel for future generations. The "fishies" are badly depleted in many places ... cod in Atlantic, grouper and others in Florida, from overfishing. Dams in the northwest have harmed fisheries, as has drought ..... downstream is much of California and the desert S.W. Ethanol was great until it disturbed food markets, and it consumes huge amounts of water, which is a big problem for SE and Florida.
Someone said we should just keep the nuclear waste until we develop technology to make it safe..........nukes take fuel, too.
Norminn wrote:

We have the technology to make it safe - reprocess it and reuse it in the plants. That cycle can continue so long as to make nuclear energy effectively renewable.
As for the greenie who babbled about the sun and it being inexhaustible - wrong, it will run out of energy one day too.
On 12/4/2008 3:13 PM Pete C. spake thus:

Since that was me, let me say how idiotic that objection is. It (the sun) *is* inexhaustable for all intents and purposes, since when the sun finally does go out, the game's over for all of us.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

The problem is it still isn't connected to the grid in any cost-effective manner that can contribute more than fractional percentages of demand and it doesn't appear likely that that can change within any near term horizon.