Calibration of Well Pump Monitor

We moved in a home with a well this year. All indications are that we have plenty of water. Yesterday I noticed that there is a monitor box on the well pump (Spring Valley Associates, Model W230C (I think they are out of business.)) The monitor has a switch which was set to Bypass. I think the monitor is supposed to shut the pump off if the well level drops too low to prevent it burning up trying to pump air. Anyhow, I changed the switch to ON and the next time the irrigation system ran, the pump shut down with a FAULT light on. Can anyone tell me how to determine if the device is doing it's job and the well level was low, or if it just needs some adjustment or repair? What does it look for? Does it have a sensor down the well, or monitor pressure, look for air bubbles or what? I also noticed that there is a CALIBRATE green light which is lit. Can this mean that it is calibrated or that it needs to be calibrated? Thanx for any info, advice.

Reply to
Bob Heist

My pump has a low pressure shutoff; this prevents the pump from running on if the water level in the well drops below the pump and therefore the pressure in the tank falls. I would guess you have a somewhat more sophisticated control which reacts to the same thing, i.e. low pressure in the tank. This is basically how one would tell that you had run out of water (temporarily) in the well. It sounds as if your well flow rate is not up to irrigation.

Reply to
donald girod

"Bob Heist" wrote

You may have a constant pressure pump and that is the control for it. You may have a grinder pump in your septic system and that is the control box for it. I don't know much about either.

Do you have a pressure tank for the well pump? Is there a pressure gauge on it? How about a pressure switch?

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

Thank you Donald and Gary. Yes I do have a pressure tank and gauge. The house was built and well dug about 20 years ago and I'm quite sure the irrigation was added later. I watched the gauge today while the sprinklers were running. While watering 3 of the 4 areas, the pump stayed ahead with the gauge cycling between 50 and 65# as the pump turned off and on. On circuit number 2, the pressure dropped slowly but continually all the time it was running. I assume that if we had run some other water in the house at the same time, we would have tripped off the low pressure monitor. Anyhow, my first fix will be to decrease the flow on those sprinkler heads to run below the well capacity. If I can't get it down enough, I'll just add another solenoid and split the heads into two different circuits. I would still be interested in finding out how to calibrate the box, so I know what it's doing for or to me.

Reply to
Bob Heist

[...]

I think that's a good idea. It sounds as if the well is running out of water on circuit 2 after watering the other. Or the water level falls too far for the pump you have. The pump may be worn too. If you allow enough time for the well to recover before watering #2, you may not have a problem, that may be an hour or more. Or water it first. Breaking it in to two parts and waiting awhile in between would probably be best.