Calculating Cost for cement for my shop ? HELP

I just heard this on a home repair show on DIY network yesterday. 40 X 56 =2240. 2240/81 =27.65. 27.65 X 90 = 2488. So about $2500.

Reply to
Lee & Cathi Thomas

You want concrete, not cement. Often used interchangeably, there is a difference.

The cost of the concrete is minimal. You need re-bar, forms, labor for pouring and finishing. A good contractor in the area can give you the costs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Curious...40x56x4"/12" is 747 cubic feet, and there are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard, so the 747/27 = 27.7 cubic yards of concrete would cost 27.7x90 = $2489. Can it be "self-leveling" :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

OK , I built a 40X56 shop and I want 4 " of cement on the floor . The cement is running $90 a yard , how much will it cost to cement my shop floor ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

safe to allow for rebar , $250 ? My brother in law is a contractor so we are going to do the floor ourselves and use the companies tools :-)

Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Cement is one of the ingredients to make concrete.

I've not done any work like that for a very long time. I'd guess every bit of that.

There are lots of types of contractors. I hope he is experienced with concrete. It is a lot of work and not very forgiving. If you are pouring in sections, it may not be so bad but for that size, you need a few people IMO. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Let me be the first to predict that you will not be able to get the kind of result you want with two inexperienced people on the job. Your brother-in-law ought to know this if he is a contracter. You should get at least one competent cement finisher on this project. And don't skimp on the concrete, go 5 1/2 bag mix or better. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

The answer is $ 2488

1 CuYard= 27 cu ft 27cu ft will cover 81 sq ft / 4" thick 40ftX56ft=2240 sq ft 2240 divided by 81=27.65 cu yd of cement needed X $90 =$2488 Good Luck!
Reply to
Batman

If he is an expert, why couldn't he answer your simple question since he deals with concrete? He wants to do a cold pour for a floor? UGH, what a terrible thought.

Reply to
Curious

brother-in-law

My brother in law work for a construction company that builds foundations , drive ways, shop floors , builds new homes etc. everyday. He is the shop foreman for the company. He and two other men that are his co workers will be over to work. I will basically be the gofor . He is planning on pouring it in 2 sections. I guess I should have clarified myself. Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Cold pour = Cold joint. You said he is making 2 pours, for such a small area this is certainly not the work of an expert. This certainly would not be allowed by any concrete companies I worked for. The person making this decision would be fired on the spot.

Reply to
Curious

foundations

To make you ask questions , no , it actually won't be a cold pour as the temps have been in the 70's lately and it is even suppose to warm up more. Probably be in the 80's when we pour the concrete, is this warm enough to pour ?

:-)

Reply to
Iowa883

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

My quote was for steel mesh, and dates a couple years back for a 32x24 floor - $500. I suspect rebar will actually be higher.

Fiberglass fibers is a good alternative, and less than half the price of mesh.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I agree that fiber reinforcement (not all of it is fiberglass) is preferable but make sure they are there. A few years back I contracted to have a basement floor poured and specified fiber reinforcement. Apparently, since I was out of state at the time he figured he could improve his profit by omitting the fiber.

It ended up costing him when he had to remove and replace 110 cu yards of concrete, but it was still a major nuisance.

RB

Chris Lewis wrote:

Reply to
RB

well if you gonna pour a slab floor you need a footing.. what area you are in will determine how deep you gotta dig the footing.... and how many cross footings you gonna have in this floor... and after you figure that then figure how much wire mesh or highway mesh you gonna put down on the entire floor and the size and number of rebars that you gonna have in the footing... and when yo finish all of that you then can go with 40 X 56 =2240 sq ft. and then figure 4 inches is 1/3 of a foot and then divide by three and get 746 cu. ft. of concrete and then you look at a yard... 3 x3 x3 = 27 cu ft. = 1 cu yd..

746 divided by 27 = 27.6 and then multiply that by $90 and get a price of $2488 just for the 4 inche of the top of the slab... and then the labor.... thats a lot of labor so you will never be able to do it yourself... probably need a crew of four or five of experienced cement guys who know wha they are doing.. there is no stopping when the trucks pull up and want to pour the cement.... so the crew has to be ready as the trucks are timed and they cant wait....
Reply to
jim