Cake Plate Dilemma!

A friend has a cake stand with a glass dome. She put a plate on the stand and put the dome over it. The plate was too close to the size of the dome. When she tried to lift the dome the plate was tightly stuck inside the dome. She tried oil and WD40 and placing it in hot water.
I suggested she tape a plastic bag of ice to the bottom of the plate, then put hot towels on the dome. She tried this -- still no luck.
Her husband wants to hit the plate in the middle with a hammer, but she and I are afraid this will break the dome.
Ideas?
jim
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:18:40 -0600, jim evans

I'd put the whole thing in the freezer for a few minutes, then try. What a terrible thing, though.
aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
jim evans wrote:

Toilet plunger? If it gets stuck, it'll still be a great conversation piece :o)
clipped

Dribble some dish soap along the edge of the plate first and let it seep down into the cake cover. Let us know how it goes :o)
Who is this JIM EVANS TROLL = STORMIN MORON
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:09:55 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Hey. Is that you Art?
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:58:17 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"
| | |jim evans wrote: |> A friend has a cake stand with a glass dome. She put a plate on the |> stand and put the dome over it. The plate was too close to the size |> of the dome. When she tried to lift the dome the plate was tightly |> stuck inside the dome. She tried oil and WD40 and placing it in hot |> water. |> |> I suggested she tape a plastic bag of ice to the bottom of the plate, |> then put hot towels on the dome. She tried this -- still no luck. |> |> Her husband wants to hit the plate in the middle with a hammer, but |> she and I are afraid this will break the dome. |> |> Ideas? |> |> jim| |Toilet plunger? If it gets stuck, it'll still be a great conversation |piece :o)
One of those auto dent pullers that looks like a suction cup. Bought them for $2 at Harbor freight so we could handle some plate mirrors. Place cup on plate, squeeze handle to make it suck up to the plate. Now you have a handle. Rex in Fort Worth
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:13:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B)

Good idea!
jim

Use air compressor air jet nozzle to blow air into the crack between the plate and the dome. Or, you could try a blaster nozzle on a garden hose. Pressurize the inside a bit and it'll probably pop right out.
Bob
Perhaps a bit of penetrating oil to lube it up a bit? The drawback to this might be that it might seal any air gap so vacuum will work against you. Think carefully about this aspect before you try this.

Sounds like a Stormin Mormin troll , I suggest a 12 gauge shougun with 00 shot [ lessen the chance of eating shot]
YEP its STORMINS ISP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
jim evans wrote:

can go out and buy a new one and start all over...

She seems to be very attached to this thing. I think it was her grandmother's.
jim