Cabots vs Benjamin Moore

Anyone on this group ever use Cabot Solid Acrylic Latex Deck Stain w/Teflon?

I thought I would save a few bucks last year and buy Cabot's SALDS w/Teflon. Big mistake. This isn't the first dance I've been to, using stains.

20+ years ago, I stained my home with BM semi-trans. About 15 years ago, I decided to stain it with BM solid latex siding stain. Great, it lasted well, weathered well, no peeling or flaking. Last year I stained my home again, using BM solid latex, decided to stain the shed with the same, and some playground swing-sets, clothes line posts and a few other things made out of PT lumber. Looks great!

I used H&C concrete stain on my front stoop and steps, and foundation block. After throwing salt on the stoop & steps during the course of the winter, everything still looks fantastic.

Last year I pressure washed my 15 year old deck, let it dry out for 3 days, and used Cabots. As soon as the cold weather started setting in, I noticed some peeling/flaking. Now that Spring is upon us, my deck is a mess. My cedar patio furniture is flaking/peeling also..... I also used Cabot's on this.

Talking with a co-worker, they said their dad's deck is doing the same thing. Found out, he used Cabot's SALDS w/Teflon for the first time.

Upon checking the net......... HOLY COW, there are many complaints about Cabot's SALDS w/Teflon.

So if anyone on this NG used the same type of stain, I would be interested in the results you got.

Reply to
Randy L.

The issue is probably using latex on the deck, Latex on a house ok but not on a deck.

Reply to
ransley

I would tend to believe that, had I not used BM acrylic latex stain on other PT lumber around the yard.

BM not showing any signs of loss of adhesion.

Reply to
Randy L.