Cable vs. Satellite

Page 2 of 2

David wrote:

It's also a confusing time for DirectTV hi-def. They are planning to launch new satellites and offer HD local channels in the next year or two that use a better compression software (mpeg4), but things are going to slip as they always do. They also plan to offer their own dvr that understands mpeg4. The current TivoHD unit is only mpeg2 and will slowly become obsolete as more directtv channels get converted over. As mentioned, there's going to be tons of delays implementing the new scheme. In the meantime, DirectTV has filtered down their HD channels so much that all the home theater guys are grumbling, hd-lite is the term. It's not much more detail than a good dvd transfer. www.tivocommunity.com is a good site to keep up with all this.
I have been a dish cust for a long time. See my recent post in alt.dbs.echostar re differences between dish and directtv.
On DBS systems local HD is via off the air antenna. You can get a HD DVR that will record this signal in addition to the sat stream. You can buy or rent the DVR from Dish. They can give you the pricing. Locals via sat will run about $5 more per month and, I think but check first, that HD locals are only available in SD right now. I have always bought my receivers, never rented. I would never go with a non-DVR receiver again. I think that Dish pricing will always beat Comcast for programming. Weather can effect reception sometimes. This will vary depending on how strong your signal is. if you have a clear shot to the sky, no trees, and your dish is installed properly you will rarely have issues. if your shot is through a few trees or your dish is not properly aligned your signal could fade more frequently. Good news about that is it will go back on as soon as the storm lightens up. Cable can take days to fix a down wire somewhere.
I used to have Comcast digital cable. The channel layout and organization is terrible compared to Dish. The Dish user interface for their DVR is far superior IMO.
If you want DVR and HD you have only a couple of options from Dishnetwork. Their current receiver that will meet your requirements is the 942. its a two tuner model (Allows you to record 2 shows at once while watching a 3rd!) http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/hd/index.shtml
is kind of pricy with a list of $699. They may have rental options or discounts if you commit to programming, check with Dishnetwork. 800-333-DISH
The 811 does not have DVR capabilities.
You may want to try these guys too http://www.dishdepot.com/ I have dealt with them before for receiver purchases and they were always helpful.

From what I can tell, neither is perfect. I know two people that are very happy with satellite, I know two others that are switching back to cable. One fellow has to go out every time it snows to clean his dish. The other loses signal in any bad weather.
I've thought about switching but there does not seem to be enough difference in price or quality so I'm still sticking with cable.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Tell your buddy to spray the dish with PAM.

Good tip. Thanks.

================================================ Been in the same house for almost 40 years.... Have used:
1> a BUD (Big Ugly Dish) 2.> Small Dish ...Dish Network 3> Cable
For me...Cable offers "my" best bang for the buck....since they offer high speed internet and TV offerings and picture quality and programming was close enough to the Satelite I went that way...
Phone company is about to offer DSL in my area...and to be honest if DSL is anywhere near as good as Cable Internet I will be hanking cable and having the small dish re-connected...
Weather rarely caused any problems with the little dish (3 foot of snow did not affect the big dish at all)...but I loose my Cable TV and internet connections all the time ...(like this morning for 3 hours...without a local storm...)
Just the opinions of a guy who does not watch a lot of TV
Bob G
We've been with DirecTV for 6 years, with no problems. It's only lost service during the most severe of storms.
Best thing is, they have a Tivo-driven PNR that has two tuners, so you can record 2 shows at once, or record a show while watching a different channel.
We just got one, and it rocks.

I'll second that and I have DishNetwork. The only time I have a signal problem is during a REAL bad thundertorm and that might be for 5 to 10 seconds. A buddy of mine used to own a Dish franchise and he said when people lose a signal all the time (from small storms and such) it's because a) their dish isn't point in the right dorection or 2) there is a tree or something bnlocking the "view". I had that problem after the first two years and realised that the neighbor's tree had grown tall enought that it was interfering with the signal. I just moved the Diash to a different location. I figure I'm good for another 10 years or so......

My Time-Warner cablevision DVR records two at once, too. I love it.

What's a signal problem? ;-)

Does it have "season passes" ? Just curious.
My dad was asking if he should get the DVR with his cable company, and I was telling him about Tivo's season pass functionality. He didn't know if the cable box could do that.