Cable TV and coax splitters

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the cross space has a total of 5 ports.
1. Comcast in 2. Cable modem 3. TV 4. TV 5. TV/DVR
I would like to add an additional TV.
Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?
Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?
Any input would be appreciated.

Hi,
You may be interested in a Cable TV amp. I bought one on Ebay. The is a guy with a shop there called "Cable TV Amps". The one I bought is an Electroline 8100. It has one input and eight outputs. It will boost your signal. Also the other nice thing about it is that it is two way. What I mean by "two way" is that signals from your cable modem for internet stuff and TV controller box will pass though O.K. and back onto the Comcast network.
Best, Mike.

It would be best to split off the cable modem before an amplifier (cable modems need a bidirectional connection, and may not work well with an amplified one). That is, the first thing on the incoming cable should be a 2-way splitter with one output going directly yo the cable modem. Then you can connect the 4-way splitter to the other output.
Do you have digital cable?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Right, but note that he already has that.

Maybe you got confused about the difference between a "2-way splitter" and a "bidirectional amp". These things aren't even close to being equivalent.

another clue to your mistake ]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:16:33 -0500, Mark Lloyd

If he has a splitter in the cross space with the labels Comcast in and Cable Modem, it is a bidirectional splitter, no? His computer is working, or he would have mentioned that.
So as you recommend above, he does split off to the cable modem before adding any other things such as an amplifier, since that's the only gadget he has now.

Not to me. You seem to want to split the comuputer off twice in a row.
I get it. You think some amateur labeled the splitter he has now, or that it's not labeled at all.. I think if his computer works, it has a port labeled Cable modem.
The OP hasn't posted since this morning, so I think the answer remains unknown.

Splitters are always bidirectional. I used the word to refer to an AMPLIFIER, which often isn't.

I said with a TWO output splitter (reducing loss at the cable modem). I also said to connect an amplifier (or 4-way splitter) to THE OTHER output of that TWO output splitter. Those 4 outputs go to the TVs. This is NOT the same is the 4-way splitter coming first.

What???
For the reading-impaired:
|----------| cable (cable in) | 2-way |------modem ------------| splitter | | (NOT | |---------| |--------|-- TV |amplifier)|----|amplifier|--| 4-way |-- TV |----------| | (if | |splitter|-- TV/DVR | needed) | |--------|-- TV |---------|
A lot like my setup. BTW, the cable internet works very well.

A splitter has an input and two or more outputs. Perhaps you're confusing "splitter" and "amplifier", and shouldn't be doing this.

Why should a port be labeled "cable modem"? It's just an output like any other.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Given the this is his existing setup:
-------- | + --- modem in ---| 4 way + --- TV | + --- TV | + --- TV/DVR --------
why not this?
-------- | + --- modem -------- in ---| 4 way + --- TV | + --- TV | + -------------*----| 2 way | | + --- TV/DVR | + --- new TV -------- --------
(with amp at * if needed).
This way, there is no change for the modem, one TV, and the TV/DVR. If there's going to be a problem, it will only be with one TV and/or the new TV. Why change the signal path of everything?
--
--Tim Smith

Brent Bolin wrote:

Chances are that you could just add another (make that a high quality) splitter to address your issue. In some cases you ma need an amplified splitter if the signal is weak.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

This is the direction I was thinking. I suppose it's all relative to the signal strength that I currently have. Have not had any problems to date.
There has been some discussion in this thread about amplifiers. Do amplifiers need an external power source ?
Brent Bolin wrote:

You need to get a two way splitter (3 ports and preferably a quality one from the cable company) and a short coax cable. Connect the incoming cable to the input of this two way splitter (yes the port labeled input makes a difference). Move the feed to the cable modem to one output of the two way splitter. Connect the input to the four way splitter to the other output of the two way splitter. Connect new TV to the port on the four way splitter freed by the cable modem connection.
Pete C.

This is the correct way to make your connections. No need for an AMP.
paul
no, get a two way and put it in the existing tv line.

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:37:34 -0500, "Steve Barker"

I think the two way should come first, so the signal to the cable modem has to pass through only one splitter.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:06:03 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I think by two-way, he meant two outputs (and one input), not a bidirectional output.
So I think you would agree it should come after the splitter that is there now.

But that could throw off a marginal signal to the modem.
A two way splitter will not have the same effect as the existing 4 way.

NO!
Take one of your TV's off and add another splitter.

Yes. Every time you split the signal you will have some loss. Whether or not it's noticable depends on the signal and hardware you use.

You do not want to add any more loss before your cable modem. A six way splitter will cause more loss to all the devices connected to it.
Also you do NOT want to use an amplifier as they also amplify noise and usually block return signals, breaking the cable modem connection.

That's why I suggested putting the 2 way FIRST.

An amplifier may be desirable, but try it without one at first. Don't put an amplifier on the cable modem signal.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

And that would be wrong. A two way splitter has 3.5db of loss to each output. A four way has 7db of loss to each output. No idea how much loss there is in a five way... 7 on three taps and 10 on two?
By moving the modem onto a two way splitter, you're hitting the modem 3.5db's hotter and that could be enough to knock it offline.
Bottom line is don't change it if you don't have to.

An amp is never desireable. If the signal in is really that bad then the cable company should be troubleshooting it. THEY will install an amp if it's needed.