Cable Splitter questions for my internet and tv

"Lying by simplification". Simple minds shut down when exposed to accurate (but less simple) labeling. They need it (labels) limited to what THEY do. They do nothing else (very limited imagination) then what they're told.

Notice that there's a "vicious cycle" here.

Simple minds lead to simple labels. Simple labels lead to simple minds (at least in believers).

Reply to
Gary H

re: Simple labels lead to simple minds (at least in believers).

I prefer my believers to be accurately labeled.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Many splitters have different "gain ratios" depending how they are connected. Actually, it is loss, not gain - but I have seen them advertised as such. From the "in" to one out may have 18dB attenuation, while another port may have 9dB. The old 6way I used to use says 18dB on each port. The new 3 Way Regal splitters Rogers installed at the last upgrade says 7db on 2 outputs and 3.5 on the third. You can cascade 2 splitters and have 3X 7dB outputs and 2X 10.5 dB outputs

Reply to
clare

Both gain or loss are ratios here, and are the same thing but opposite sign. A positive loss would be a negative gain.

That could be two 2-way splitters in that package.

4-way followed by 2-way.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

responding to

Bartolo wrote: This thread shows up in Google and even though it is old I thought I would reply to it.

If you are looking to split only "standard cable," then a cheapie splitter probably will work fine. HD signals and internet signals are much higher frequency than standard tv, and a splitter rated up to 2GHz is recommended. Modern cable systems (FiOS, Comcast) rely on an internet connection as well as a cable tv connection to each cable box in your home (each cable box gets an IP address), and with a cheapie splitter your box may receive the tv signal, but not the internet signal. So everything will work until you try to use On Demand, Pay Per View, etc.

Many in this thread bash the Monster products, but at $9.99 on Amazon with free shipping, I do not consider their top of the line 5Hz - 2GHz splitter to be over-priced. It's a small price to pay for reliable tv AND internet service. In fact, a "cheapie" splitter at Radio Shack is the exact same price -- $9.99

vvilliamm wrote:

Reply to
Bartolo

Irrespective of the price/quality of Monster Cable (spit) products, their business morality is reprehensible. I refer you to correspondence in reply to a "Demand" and "Cease and Desist" letter from Monster Cable's lawyers to Blue Jeans Cable.

Here it is (PDF)

Warning: The letter is long, but fascinating.

Introduction:

"Dear Monster Lawyers,

"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better."

Here's the money quote:

"I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation, expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me. You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. It may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of settling frivolous claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of the insurance carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but it is how I have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not going to change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't about Monster, never ordered from them. But when I put one splitter too many to run 4 TV's and my internet connection, I got a bad TV signal. Bought a Motorola signal booster for 30-40 bucks. Fixed it all up by using the booster fed by the first splitter and all the TV splitters are fed by the booster. Left the cable modem unboosted as the feed off first splitter. Read that shouldn't be boosted. Supposedly the cable company will come and put a booster in free but I didn't want to deal with them.

Reply to
Vic Smith

My cable company came in and replaced all the old cable with 100% sheilded, and all splitters - free of charge (well, actually I paid well for them over all the years I;ve been their customer)

Reply to
clare

Satellite companies will do the same. They don't fishing cables through walls, though, so I did that myself before they came.

Reply to
krw

There is absolutely nothing about Radio Shack that is cheap, except the merchandise!

nb

Reply to
notbob

You guys do realize that you are replying to a THREE YEAR OLD thread from HOMEOWNER'S HUB, right?

Reply to
dennisgauge

probably will work fine. HD signals and

rated up to 2GHz is recommended.

They are not higher here.

As to internet, my modem shows the frequencies used. Downstream in on channel 95 (which is just above 22). Upstream in on one of the "T" channels (below 2, not normally used for TV).

Local channels in HD use TV channels 98 and 99 (just below 23).

I don't know about the encrypted HD channels, but neither internet not local HD uses higher frequencies.

Internet (and, probably, encrypted channels) require an upstream path, which is likely on a LOWER frequency. This needs to be considered when choosing a splitter.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd