Cable Splitter questions for my internet and tv

Page 2 of 2
vvilliamm wrote:

Get the cheapest one you can find (i.e., maybe 98˘) and give it a try. I think you'll be satisfied.
I've got two TVs hooked up to our cable and these TVs have to meander through about three (cheap) splitters each. Download speeds vary between 5Mbs and 10Mbs.
If you try a cheap splitter and your TV's fuzzy, missing channels, whatever, or your computer acts flakey, well, you can try the recommended splitter (certainly not the Monster Cable brand).
Add pictures here
✖

re: "If you try a cheap splitter and your TV's fuzzy..."
My solution to fuzzy TV's on the second floor was to run a single cable from the splitter in the basement to an amplifier in the attic and then split the amp's output to the 3 bedroom TV's.
It's just basic cable in the bedrooms, so I don't need bi-directional components.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

To keep in mind, amp. amplifies signal as well as noise. In many cases cable signal is too strong rather than too weak. Use good component and cable. A month or so ago, I couldn't order a pay per view program all of a sudden. No other problems watching any channel including HD and internet was working fine too. Lo and behold I traced the problem to a 3 way splitter at the cable entrance in the basement. Replaced it and problem was gone.
Add pictures here
✖
[snip]

True. For an amp to be useful, you need a good signal at it's input (an amp won't correct a weak signal coming in).

True. Do you have a good way to tell which problem (too weak signal or too strong signal) you have?

I've now replaced all the old (RG-59) cable in this house. It made a lot of difference.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
vvilliamm wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Bartolo wrote:

business morality is reprehensible. I refer you to correspondence in reply to a "Demand" and "Cease and Desist" letter from Monster Cable's lawyers to Blue Jeans Cable.
Here it is (PDF) http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/response041408.pdf
Warning: The letter is long, but fascinating.
Introduction:
"Dear Monster Lawyers,
"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better."
Here's the money quote:
"I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation, expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me. You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. It may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of settling frivolous claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of the insurance carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but it is how I have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not going to change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."
Add pictures here
✖

I don't about Monster, never ordered from them. But when I put one splitter too many to run 4 TV's and my internet connection, I got a bad TV signal. Bought a Motorola signal booster for 30-40 bucks. Fixed it all up by using the booster fed by the first splitter and all the TV splitters are fed by the booster. Left the cable modem unboosted as the feed off first splitter. Read that shouldn't be boosted. Supposedly the cable company will come and put a booster in free but I didn't want to deal with them.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 19:59:55 -0500, Vic Smith

sheilded, and all splitters - free of charge (well, actually I paid well for them over all the years I;ve been their customer)
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:27:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Satellite companies will do the same. They don't fishing cables through walls, though, so I did that myself before they came.
Add pictures here
✖

There is absolutely nothing about Radio Shack that is cheap, except the merchandise!
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:12:05 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

You guys do realize that you are replying to a THREE YEAR OLD thread from HOMEOWNER'S HUB, right?
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/17/2012 02:44 PM, Bartolo wrote:

They are not higher here.
As to internet, my modem shows the frequencies used. Downstream in on channel 95 (which is just above 22). Upstream in on one of the "T" channels (below 2, not normally used for TV).
Local channels in HD use TV channels 98 and 99 (just below 23).
I don't know about the encrypted HD channels, but neither internet not local HD uses higher frequencies.
Internet (and, probably, encrypted channels) require an upstream path, which is likely on a LOWER frequency. This needs to be considered when choosing a splitter.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us