Cable question

Page 1 of 2
I want to get a cable signal from the upstairs bedroom where the HD/digital box is, to the family room downstairs. Most of the stuff I found says the main box and the downstairs set have to be on the same channel and obviously the remote won't word. Anyway (short of getting another box) to get the signal from upstairs to downstairs and still be able to have different channels and/or remote capability (I can live without that if needed).
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Does the box have dual tuner? Otherwise you can watch one channel at a time.
On 2/28/16 9:39 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 09:54:22 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"

Not unless you have another output. On my Dish boxes the second tuner outputs a regular RF channel that you can transport on coax cable and they supply an RF remote that will work just about anywhere in the house if you use the external antenna.
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:44:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 15:31:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My 722 Dish box splits the same LNB output to both tuners
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 09:54:22 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"

NextBox3). I have the NextBox on the TV in the livingroom that my wife usually uses, an HDBox on mine downstairs, and a simple converter box on the one in my wife's exercise room. We get the full load on the 2, and only basic cable plus on the other one .
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 3:30:10 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It sounds like you need a box even for basic cable, correct?
I don't. I have 10 cable outlets in and around the house that get basic cable directly from the cable without the need for set-top boxes. Man, it would suck to need boxes for every outlet.
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 15:26:58 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

boxes free. Still a bumber, because now I can't use the old simple PVR any more - without another box.

The boxes started around here just over a year ago. They were 3 or 4 for free, but now they are going to start charging about 5 or 6 dollars per box. I had 2 TV sets on just the regular stations and when they went to the boxes, I went to direct TV. I did not get it at the time, but wish that I had gotten one of the wireless boxes when they installed the system .
The FCC is taking about letting third parties make and sell the boxes. Not sure how long they are into that. At least I can buy my own cable modem for the internet and save those charges.
On 2/28/2016 7:25 AM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

You can buy "remote extenders" that transmit the Ir signal wirelessly.

And you don't want to just split the *feed* to those two places?
On 2/28/2016 9:25 AM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

If the TV in the family room has a QAM tuner, your cable provider continues to provide unencrypted local channels, and you would be satisfied receiving only your local area TV stations (and maybe a few others), you could plug the RF cable from the digital box directly into the antenna jack on the back, run a scan on the antenna input, and then wean out the redundant and unwanted channels that the scan selected.
I did that for our 22" TV in the dinette (our main TV, with the digital box, is in the den). In addition to the local broadcast channels and subchannels, I can view ARTS on a community service channel, and a 24 hr local area cable news channel. Neither of those two can be received over the air. It took a while to edit out all the scan detected channels that either were SD, redundant, or encrypted, but I save more than $8/mo and what we receive is fine for watching while preparing and/or eating meals.
Of course, if your cable provider encrypts even local, over the air station signals (an FCC ruling recently changed longstanding policy and now allows that at the cable provider's discretion), your family room TV doesn't have a QAM tuner, or you need to watch cable specific channels in the family room, this solution won't work for you.

Our cable company allowed that up to about a year ago. Then they made it so that every TV had to have a box of some kind to receive any stations. I switched to Direct TV.
If you have a good internet connection, you might want to look into the Roku type devices . That is a box that can be connected to the TV set and allow some TV watching on a set that is not connected to the cable. You only have to buy that box one time for about $ 50 to $ 100 depending on the box you get.
While you probably don't want to do it, you might also want to look into the smart TVs that do some of the same things.
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 11:10:12 AM UTC-5, Peter wrote:

Government corporate welfare at it again!
On 2/28/2016 9:25 AM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Depends on the cable company. Most require a box to decode the signal. Used to be a cable ready TV could get the basic channels with no box.
I'd look for a used compatible box and be done with it. I assume your cable company wants a monthly rental
This place seems to have them for sale. http://cableboxandmodem.com/

Also a good idea.

What I meant by this is that it's probably a good idea to buy a second box, if you find a good place to buy one.
WRT the place 5 lines up, I haven't looked much at cable boxes, andsince I don't have cable or satellite, and I wouldn't know a good price if I saw one, but I looked at their OTA box, http://cableboxandmodem.com/OTAreceivers.html
It's very overpriced, about twice what it's worth. I guess 100 of that is the installation (do they really send someone to your home?) , but you can do that yourself. Yesterday I found the receiver/ with remote but no HDD for $34. This is a kit and adds a small antenna, an HDMI cable and probably a triple RCA cable, plus installation and setup (which you can surely do yourself) and a 160gig HDD (worth $45???), and charges $200!!!!
The picture shows 3 boxes, but 2 of them are front and back views of the same box. The list of things includes the OTA receiver and the 160G PVR
They call it a ""BLACK BOX" PACKAGE " and don't even give the make, but by the picture it's a Mediasonic HomeWorx. This is their 2nd model, although that came in two versions and I don't know which this is. The third model included Karioke and just came out in January. They were still giving discounts until Feb 17 if you wrote a review, but it's only $60 w/o the HDD so I wonder what the discount price is. If anyone's interested I'll get all three model numbers. ( hw150PVR, hw180STB, and HW220STB)
I wasn't able to get the instruction manual for the new one, but it looks just like the first two and the big disadvantage is that one can't play a recording while recording. If you come home from work and it's recording something, you have to have another tuner somewhere, or start watching in the middle, or not watch tv at all until it finishes.
It says "We need a name for our custom built HD-PVR. For now we have named it the 'BLACK BOX"" Baloney, it's HW150PVR. Just look at the back panel.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

I was mixed up. It's the HW180STB that comes in a first version and later version. It has one row fewer jacks on the back.
This is the HW150PVR. 33 to 35 dollars.

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 10:40:13 PM UTC-6, Micky wrote:

BEWARE!! I purchased a cable/dvr box from CableBoxandModem.com for $175. Th ey require that you pay with a bank check rather than credit card (so that you cannot dispute through the credit card company). Could not get full fun ctionality with it from Comcast. Talked to owner or manger, Jay Bianchi, wh o offers a money back guarantee, and I was issued a Return Materials Author ization Form (RMA). I returned the box by FedEx and I did not receive respo nses to my emails asking for status of the refund. Spoke to Jay once in mid -October and he said my unit was sent to factory for “refurbishing ” and it should be back in one week. My subsequent calls and emails have gone unanswered and I have not received my refund.
Andrew G posted for all of us...

t you cannot dispute through the credit card company). Could not get full f unctionality with it from Comcast. Talked to owner or manger, Jay Bianchi, who offers a money back guarantee, and I was issued a Return Materials Auth orization Form (RMA). I returned the box by FedEx and I did not receive responses to my emails asking for status of the refund. Spoke to Jay once i n mid-October and he said my unit was sent to factory for ?refurbishing? an d it should be back in one week. My subsequent calls and emails have gone u nanswered and I have not received my refund.

What are we supposed to do about it? Complain to amazon, others have stated they will back you. It sucks to be you.
--
Tekkie