Cable Company Vans and Orange Cones

a.h.r. relate: The house across the street from me had a 2nd floor toilet let go soon after a young couple bought the house. They hadn't moved in yet and the water ran for close to 24 hours before they stopped over to do some work and found out what had happened. Most of the first floor had to be gutted and they are just putting the finishing touches on the repairs.

So, I pull out of my driveway this morning and I see a cable company van backed into their driveway - completely in their driveway, at least a car's length off of the street.

Next to the passenger side front bumper is an orange hazard cone.

Now, I can see using a cone or 2 when the van is stopped on the street as a warning. "This van's not moving, I'm working in the area, please be careful."

But what's the point of using the cone when the van is parked in a private driveway? I'm guessing "corporate policy" with no grey area. "If you are stopped to work, you will put the cone out, period."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

*The cone is put there to remind the driver to check the back of the van before leaving the job. The phone company does this as well. Apparently there was an accident many years ago where someone got run over by a phone company truck backing up.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Some occupational safety laws require you to tie off with a ten foot lanyard when working more than three feet above the ground .................

do the math ............

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book.

Steve B

In theory, I should, we all should, check behind my car every time I leave. Now most of the kids in the n'hood who don't have the instinct not to play behind cars have been killed already. But there is always a chance a new kid will move in and wander from house to house, driveway to driveway until he finds a tail pipe that appeals to him.

Reply to
mm

A good habit.

Reply to
A. Baum

Probably the cone was in the way of getting something else (Often drivers place the cone between rungs of a ladder being carried on a roof rack, for instance) and the cable guy just happend to put it down where you saw it.

Reply to
Larry W

I bet it came from people hitting parked vans and wailing to the judge that it was improperly parked and marked. Here's yer check. That is, if the insurance company didn't buy them off to settle. Or someone struck their knee on the bumper and wailed that the van was improperly parked and marked. Probably the same guy that ran into the parked van.

It is also so supervisors can easily find corporate vehicles and verify that they are on site and working. That is the supervisors who are not off drinking, gambling, sleeping, or spending time at home during work hours.

You should know by now that we do have some incredibly stupid regulations, almost all based on incredibly stupid people doing incredibly stupid things. Warning on toaster: DO NOT USE THIS APPLIANCE WHILE SHOWERING. That sort of thing.

When I go to the local landfill, I have to wear a neon yellow vest any time I am out of my truck .............. Guess it makes it easier for them to aim at me ......... Or find my body in case I get run over by one of those huge metal tired vehicles ................

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book.

Steve B

That was UPS truck, sometime in the last 10 years or so. IIRC it happened in California.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

company

Apparently

What if he forgets the cone and backs over a kid?

Reply to
LSMFT

Worse yet, what's the penalty for bringing back a cone with tire tracks on it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

[...]

For atleast 40 years it has been the policy of the local telephone company that when the service truck is parked it must have the cone behind it. Even when one was parked in a grocery store parking lot, it had the cone behind it. Not sure of the reason, but it must be there by the company policy, not a state or federal law.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

? "DerbyDad03" wrote

Company rules usually say to do a safety thing 100% of the time. It removes judgment by the driver as to when and how it should be deployed and the potential for error. Simple safety habit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You have to look for kids behind the truck to pick up your cone.

Reply to
Josepi

I walk around and check the flaps and control surfaces before I drive off. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hey Ed didn't you have a bad fall recently? We've been hit with ice and snow again and I'm staying out of the driveway. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My convertible top has flaps now, but they just flap around. Nothing to check.

Reply to
mm

The ladder on top of my van was bouncing around yesterday. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Re-read my post:

1 - "I see a cable company van *backed* into their driveway.

2 - "Next to the passenger side *front* bumper is an orange hazard cone."

The van had no place to go but *forward*. The cone was in front of the truck.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Obama will have every driver in the USA putting down cones"

Dr. Peter Venkman: [points in baby's face] You're short, your bellybutton sticks out too far, and you're a terrible burden on your poor mother.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "You have to look for kids behind the truck to pick up your cone. "