Cabinet redoing

I am going to paint the cabinets we have in our bathroom. To do a neat job I would like to remove the doors from the hinges. However, I'm wary about doing this in case the screws won't connect snugly when I try to put the door back on. Am I worrying about nothing here? Is this something that's done all the time?
Paul
<< I am going to paint the cabinets we have in our bathroom. To do a neat job I would like to remove the doors from the hinges. However, I'm wary about doing this in case the screws won't connect snugly when I try to put the door back on. Am I worrying about nothing here? Is this something that's done all the time? >>
It's a common remodeling practice, so go ahead and do it. Some advice to make it easier: 1) Use a decent screwdriver. Cabinets often use Phillips screws and a cheap tool will quickly bugger up the screw head making removal and re-use a hassle. 2) Put the screws in a capped container as you remove them to keep them handy for the reinstallation. 3) If you get unlucky and mess up more than a few of the screws throw them all out except one which you can take to Ace Hardware or similar source and use to match up to new ones. 4) If any screw holes are wallowed out, put a dab of Titebond II or similar glue on a wooden matchstick, tap it into the hole and slice it off flush before installing screw. See how easy that was? Go for it.. HTH
Joe
My biggest concern is the type of paint you use. I cringe when I see latex paint being used for a cabinet. Try an epoxy or enamel spray paint. The screws should go back in with out a problem.

Joe gives some GREAT advice. He pretty much touched everything.
The only thing I have to add, is that reusing the screws can be a headache. Especially on newer hardware (hinges), the screws they send with them are crap. You have to be really careful or you will "bugger" up the head, rendering them impossible to turn. Be extremely careful when removing them and take your time and you should be OK. Otherwise, Joe's advice to get something to match and replace them may be best, if they are hard to work with. Some of the older hinges used a higher quality screw.
Oh...and make sure the paint is good and dry before replacing the doors.

Suggestion: Replacing screws. Really small screw holes can be packed with a wooden tooth pick (or two), larger holes with a wooden matchstick, broken off flush with wood surface, before remounting the hinges. Get new screws if necessary; very small cost in order to do a good job.