CA. Fires - What's wrong with the inspectors?

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Santa Anna winds can blow embers for two miles. When these embers land on a cedar shake roof, well, there goes the house!
I guess in a fire zone (everywhere but Alaska), the "authorities" could require metal shingled roofs. Unless you build underground.

Notice how many burnt/burning homes have a tile (terra cotta) roof? Embers get under these, right to the plywood sheathing.
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

Yep. We're talking 40, 50, 60MPH winds.
Still, I saw two guys with water hoses, buckets of water, shovels and hoes save their two house while the rest on the street burned down.
Another interesting little tidbit; people loaded up their cars with their important stuff, but didn't have enough family members to drive all the cars.
House gone, cars full of stuff (mostly) untouched.
One doesn't normally thing of an automobile as a fire-proof vault. But it is.
HeyBub wrote:

As long as the water holds and you're successful, that works. If water should happen to fail or an ember gets ahead of you, you're likely toast along w/ the house. Pretty major risk although just how much depends greatly on whether there is or isn't a reliable escape route. As one of the silly network reporters learned on a piece of film I saw, a road down one of those canyons can turn from a windy drive to sheer terror real quick...
Saw lots of cars that were crispy meltdowns, too. All depends on what surrounds them.
Folks around here in the KS/TX/OK grass fires a winter ago couldn't outrun flame front in automobiles/jeeps in flat mostly flat open pastures, what more up and down mountainous terrain.
We're just waiting for the next doofus to throw a cigarette out a car window and the whole county around here is ready to go up too. To top it off, pheasant season starts next weekend w/ no sign of any moisture which will bring all the city slickers out who have _no_ clue what a grass fire will/can do... :(
dpb wrote:

Swimming pool, generator, pump?

Agreed. Still, there were cars parked on the street virtually untouched while all around was gone.

Don't worry about that. Cigarette smokers are some of the most responsible people on the planet. Be worried about arson.

Hunters, too, are much more aware of their surroundings and consequences than your ordinary doofus. For example there's Dick Cheney...
Wait. Never mind...

With a fire that is not all that contained by multiple 1500 gpm pumpers using tanker shuttles? Good luck.

But it only takes one. The big three in wildfires last time I looked around were lightening, cigs, and arsons.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Right, but the pumper trucks are for BIG fires. This guy said he and his neighbor scurried about dousing little fires so they never became big ones. Put out hundreds and hundreds of embers, they did.
HeyBub wrote:

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. All depends on how many come how quickly and what there is as a fuel source. If you're lucky the number is small enough you have sufficient resources to stay even.
If not, ...

Right. Anecdotal but I have seen personally two fires started by cigs. One I came on just as it was getting started in the barrow ditch about 6 miles from the house. I had nothing to fight it with so beat feet to a phone. The other was right on my property edge. I wasn't aware of it until I saw all the flashing lights and trucks chasing it up my fence row.
Fires started by cigs are common and smokers are _not_ "some of the most responsible people....".
Harry K

Don't worry about that. Cigarette smokers are some of the most responsible
You are full of crap the smokers are most irresponsible jerks that toes cigarettes out of windows while driving down the road and that is fact I leave in New Jersey and we have at least two to three fires every summer and there is no arsons on this part of hwy but traffic fling through and I saw same thing in other places so don't gave people some bulls because you are smoker

HeyBub wrote:

Certainly not in my experience. Their second behind the even dumber doofus'es who drive down the road waving Roman candles out the car windows over the Fourth weekend... :(

"Cheney"-type incidents are _far_ less of an issue than the ones who cut fences, leave gates open, drive across tinderbox-dry tall grass, etc., etc., etc., ...

Right. Smokers think the world is their ashtray. If I had a dollar for every lit cigarette I've seen tossed out the window of a car in front of me, I could retire. Smoking is disgusting, stinky, expensive, and fatal, yet these idiots persist. Smokers are stupid, and ya can't fix stupid.
h wrote:

It's all right. They're French.
dpb wrote:

Cigarette smokers generally only light up to cover the smell.
When some officious granny-lady whacks me with her umbrella and demands that I extinguish my smoke, I politely respond:
"I am a grenade and this cigarette is the pin. Now you have to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

Alaska is no good. Earthquakes and tsunamis. By the time you factor in all of the risky areas (left coast, east coast, and everywhere else due to tornado, hurricane, fire, drought, ice storm, blizzard or earthquake), you end up trying to park almost 300 million Americans in Churchill Manitoba.
Which the Canadians might not like. As a Canadian, I wouldn't like...
Oh right, polar bears. That's no good either.
--
Chris Lewis,

Chris Lewis wrote:

Well, see, I'm in Houston. We don't have forest fires, tornadoes, tsunamis, snow days, or earthquakes. We DO have hurricanes, but those are universally viewed as an excuse to party.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:21:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Santa Anna winds reached 100 mph. This prevented early use of planes and choppers to apply retardants on the fires. Firemen had to let it burn, and now play catch-up.
Those winds have blown all the smoke further West, so Las Vegas is spared the smoke issues, etc...
-- Oren

It is evident you don't live there and have never visted the places in question. Especially during the Santa Ana winds.

Uh, they do and yes, it helps.

Perhaps you should tell them. I bet they never thought of that. Wow, thanks for the tip and I'll pass it on to my relatives in the San Diego area. Since you are willing to share this tip, how much space do you think should be kept clear when 90 mph winds with 5% RH are carrying hot embers?

And if you are so senseless that you don't understand the math of arsonists plus one hundred mile an hour winds equals disaster, anything I say wouldn't give you a clue as to what's going on.
This is a troll, right?
I thought so.
Adios. plonk
Steve