Bypassing Snap Disc

After lighting the 1st fire of the season in the Heat & Glo North Star, I find that the Snap Disc that controls the variable speed for the fan motor doesn't work. The fan works with the alternate off/on switch. Can I jumper around the snap disc without endangering the fan? I understand the dangers of electricity and will power off the entire circuit before jumpering. Thanks for you help and concern.
--
Steve
southiowa