Bypassing Electric Meter

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 06:26:12 GMT, Steve Kraus

Who makes these? I haven't seen one yet.

Around here the pot "farmers" tend to be illegals from 3d world countries where meter fraud is a well established custom. I have seen a number of tricks. The best one I saw was a guy who put a "T" fitting in the service mast where it penetrated the roof to the soffit on a service upgrade so he could loop the service conductors into the attic where they were tapped. The cops found it when they busted the grow house
Al Moran wrote:

Now that some companys use the latest tech of remote meter reading tampering with the meter could go on for quite awhile, before the electric company became aware of it. Usually when they are caught the judges are not very lenient in the sentence. You steal you Pay. Jack
Jack wrote:

Actually, w/ remote monitoring and latest technology, the utility company becomes aware of it essentially instantaneously--that's one of the points of the remote (as in automated) monitoring besides the cost reduction of eliminating meter-readers...
http://www.itron.com/pages/products_detail.asp?id=itr_000240.xml
for a overview of current technology for one particular meter/vendor...
Al Moran wrote:

Heh!
When doing a census for a Rural Electric Co-op, we found more than one person who had bought their own TRANSFORMER and tapped into the 7,200 volt mains.
Look, if a lineman can fiddle with umpty-ump volts on the job, he can certainly do it off the clock.
If they look for high wattage use to flag potential growers, couldn't they just look for zero (or ultra-low) wattage users, too?
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:45:07 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

They only tap off the grow lights so the normal usage stays roughly the same. We have so many snow birds and real estate flippers with empty houses around here, low usage is not a strange thing.
Awhile ago I heard about a guy who stole power by using auto jumper cables attached to a tree pole pruner, jumping out the meter attaching directly to the copper uninsulated service line......
he had a tree shaded area to work..

Taking notes?
:p
Al Moran wrote:

That's down right shocking
replying to Al Moran, gangerelectricm8 wrote: not reeal m88'tz