bye-bye land line telephone

Page 6 of 6
On 5/12/2016 2:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

"29" sounds wonky.

You might want to try calling yourself to see if it *can* ring all your phones. And possibly consider turning off the ringers on any that you can (old WE phones require you to disconnect the ringer leads internally)
On 05/12/2016 08:08 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

I used to have a "ring control cord" (fro Radio Shack) that would add a ringer switch to any phone. It was just a switch across a full-wave rectifier.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Nope - not on the hub. link below. One of my 3 old phones had it 1.2 I think. "load number" was specified on one, as 29. Dunno ...
http://enterprise.zte.com.cn/en/products/network_lnfrastructure/cpe/broadband/201404/t20140418_422573.html
John T.
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 8:29:06 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Even $20 sounds high to me. I switched to Ooma a year ago. Cost me $60 for a used unit on Ebay and $4 a month for unlimited US calling for $4 a month. I only have to pay the taxes each month, that's the $4. Very happy with it, reliability has been excellent, voice quality is good too.
On Wed, 11 May 2016 19:43:45 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

+1 (What everyone else said.) The only advice I want to add is not to overload the 'ring' generator. If you have too many phones, often the output stage on the hub does not have the capacity to drive them all simultaneously, especially if they are old phones with real solenoid-operated ringers.
Other advice is to REALLY MAKE SURE that the cordless units are the same, i.e. I took great pains to ensure that my 2nd set of cordless Panasonic phones corresponded to the same electronic 'standard', but the new ones don't fit into the old charging bases, not even as required to 'mate' the handset to the radio ID of the base, let alone charge the batteries. So I have to remember which handsets go into which charging bases. (Actually, I don't. I just try whatever handset needs charging into a succession of bases until I find one that fits...)
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 5/11/2016 6:19 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:

Even this can go wrong!
My folks picked up two sets of "dual handset" units. In short order, NONE of them were working! Seems they really wanted to be recharged in the same place that they were initially "paired". You couldn't just stick them into any place that *seemed* appropriate.
I ended up having to put colored dots on each handset and base/charger so they would know where each one "belonged".
Our current cordless set allows you to type in a name for the phone (e.g., Kitchen, Living Room, etc.). While not essential, one of the "speakerphones" has failed (and I am too lazy to take the flimsy plastic thing apart to figure out why!). So, we are careful about where we leave that handset "charging".
On Wed, 11 May 2016 19:43:45 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

My OOMA has one RJ-11. It's centrally located by my computer. When I got it the OOMA, I ran a wire from it to where the old Comcast phone modem wires were attached to the house wiring, and swapped them. I used two IDEAL 85-950 UY-I, 2-Wire Butt Splice IDC, which fits common phone wire. My phone service was changed from Ma Bell to ATandT to Comcast over the years, so the entrance is sort of a mess of wires. I took the easy path and just disconnected the Comcast splices, since all my phones worked with that splicing. And all 4 work with the OOMA. But this is all in my unfinished basement. Maybe your best bet is to wire to the nearest jack backside. Depends on where you feel comfortable running the wire. You should disconnect the Ma Bell wires and tape them off.

You can use the existing house telephone wiring.
Last year I disconnected Verizon and went with Time Warner Cable for land line and internet. The TWC modem has a connection for a telephone which I connected to one of the existing wall outlets. That allowed me to use any of the other receptacles in the house.