buzzing electricity in house

Was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions on what to look for / what to fix...

Have a very light buzzing sound in one room of my house. It sounds very general in the room. My wife thought it was coming from one outlet. Replaced outlet, but it didn't fix the problem. When I had the breaker off for that room, it did eliminate the buzzing sound.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on where in the wiring to look for the source of the buzzing - different outlet or junction?

Thanks,

Craig

Reply to
C. Green

Look for dimmers, halogen lamps or vampires.

Vampires are those small bricks that plug into the wall to power small devices. They have transformers that can go bad and make that noise.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

look for transformers, switching power supllies, ballasts and so on. Buzzing means vibration. I doubt a simple light bulb can start buzzing.

Reply to
j j

Unless it is connected to a dimmer. Frequently when a bulb is dimmed via a dimmer switch it will buzz. Lou

Reply to
Lou W

I had a similar problem a few years ago. It was impossible to pin down the source of a 60 cycle type hum. Searched all over and couldn't find it. It was getting louder over several months. The final straw was during a power black out, the sound was still there. How is that possible. The sound seemed to come generally from the electric panel but nothing definitive. It also was intermittent. Finally found it to come from the gas meter which was on the outside of the wall that the electric panel was mounted, and the gas pipe ran overhead. It turned out to be a defective meter that buzzed when gas was being used. The gas company was out the next day to change it.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Reply to
Phil Munro

If the room is on the main floor, see if it could be the transformer for the doorbell, which could be mounted on the floor joists.

Reply to
Tom Bach

the sound could originate in a different room and travel through conduit, or ducts or water pipes.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Some light bulb filaments are bad about vibrating when dimmed... and can make a big racket.

Erik

Reply to
Erik