Buying used power tools - how to inspect battery pack

I need a few power tools and decided that a good used one beats new knock offs.
I have been having pretty good luck so far using Craigslist. You can go there and examine the tool and test it etc...
The only problem is, if I get a cordless tool, how would you examine the battery?
As we all know, sometimes a new replacement battery can cost more than 50% of the tool brand new. It makes no sense to get a cordless drill for example, if the drill goes for $150 new with battery and I can get it used for $50 but the battery is shot and a new battery is $80.
So my question is, is there anyway to test or inspect a battery? If someone charges up a battery and it works good for only 5 minutes, I won't know until I bought it home...
Any tricks?
Thanks,
MC
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 14, 10:35 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I would just consider the battery bad and get a new battery, and feel lucky if it came with a good battery. New you can get good deals now. HD-Ridgid brand has lifetime warranty even on batteries. I would not personaly bother with used, in 3-5 years I will get a free new battery and the drill will last until its stolen or dropped off a ladder.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 14, 10:35 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Since many used tools will have NiCd batteries, just assume the batteries are nearly at end of life. Most can be be rebuilt at specialty stores like Interstate Battery. Check prices, but in our area it is around 1/2 the cost of new. Note that eBay often has new tools sans batteries, so use that information as a guide to what you should pay. Good luck.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
is perfect! I have used them, often the rebuilt battery is way better than the original with higher capacity:)
They can also upgrade to different cells NIMH? but i havent bothered
Add pictures here
✖

I bet you could ask for and get the highest quality sanyo or panasonic cells, alot of what you originaly get is cheap junk
Add pictures here
✖

primecell uses very high capacity batteries, I took one they rebuilt apart to inspect, class A job.
heck they even cleaned the case, the paint I spilled on it years before was gone, looked like case was buffed but really not sure
Add pictures here
✖

I would guess they use the best brand, that is their business.
Add pictures here
✖

Quite possibly they simply swapped out for another rather than actually working on a particular case for a particular job if it is a moderately-common tool...
Add pictures here
✖

nope it was mine I engrave my name on tools and batteries to cut friends borrowing:(
it was mine but the case looked really good. I had priced buying the cells, it cost little more than just buying the cells.
they probably buy them in bulk, primecell service has been mentioned in magazines.
I dont like tossing stuff thats still usable. have gotten several from them and friends have used them too.
great service reasonable prices
Add pictures here
✖