Buying universal light kit for ceiling fan

A few months ago I purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan from HD, only the fan, no light. Now I would like to add a light kit. I have seen light kits at HD made by Hampton Bay, but not the kind I like. I have seen other light kits I like that claim to be "universal" and will fit any fan. Do these universal kits actually fit the fan good ?

Reply to
Mikepier

** They pretty much fit any fan with a bottom junction box that has a 1/8" threaded hole in the bottom. Depending upon the fixture, they usually fit in a similar fashion to a fixture that would come with that type of fan.
Reply to
RBM

buy one and try it, return it if it doesnt fit.

I had a hampton bay light that wasnt standard and finally cobbled together a couple light kits to make one that fit

Reply to
bob haller

Look carefully at the bottom of your fan to see what possible type of connections could be made. Then look at the light you are thinking about buying and see if there is a corresponding fitting. Probably a threaded rod type of fitting. If you unpack the lamp kit and it doesn't fit, then if it is sold as UNIVERSAL, and it doesn't work, you have good grounds for returning it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The Hampton Bay fan I have now has a "blank" cap held on by 3 screws, so I would need a light kit with similiar mounting screws.

Reply to
Mikepier

The Hampton Bay fan I have now has a "blank" cap held on by 3 screws, so I would need a light kit with similiar mounting screws.

**There is probably a plastic cover on the very bottom of that "cap", which pops off, exposing a 1/8" threaded hole, which is for mounting a universal light fixture. You may have to disconnect the cap to punch the blank off from the inside. If you don't have this threaded hole on the bottom of the cap, a universal light fixture doesn't mount to that fan.
Reply to
RBM