Buying new TV

Page 4 of 4

desgnr wrote:

Even at same size and resolution there are many different quality level. Under 40", 720P will do but if you want to watch full HD(1080P) Blue ray movie, native 1080P is better also 120Hz is better than 60Hz for sure for fast moving object like sports games. Plasma panel does not have this problem. We have 65" Panasonic full HD Plasma panel with upscaling A/V Denon receiver. We seldom go out for movie now. I help install a full HD projector at my friend's mountain village home with a full shebang including special custom chairs and even pop corn machine. CR rated Vizio brand pretty high.
Look for good color reproductio at movie mode, too high contrast, to bright display is impressive at firsat but it is hrd on your eyes for daily watching. Sales people always jack up the brightness/contrast to impress you. One thing to have is a set up DVD when you get the TV. The DVD will help you set up the TV display proper to your liking. Displays which could show near true black or true white is good one.

32 is small, for a kitchen or even a computer. If you are going up from a tube tv than a 32 about equals a 26" tube in height of picture. 1080p is what Blue ray is but unless its maybe on your desk so you can get real close, you might not benefit from 1080p. If its for a living room go bigger, 120hz is smoother and 1080p is full HD only Blue Ray has now [that I know of] You best price points might be for what sells for near 1000 or a bit less. Eventualy it will all be Blue Ray 1080p dvd, so consider the future if you rent or buy DVDs, and then there are internet tvs, and 3d, but I dont know much about that.

Bottom line...go with the Sony deal.
Bob Villa wrote:

Sony has 4 different quality level. Look at the model no. prefix letters.
On 05/22/2010 02:31 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Between 720p and 1080p there is a noticeable difference, but probably only if you are watching OTA TV in 1080i/p, have HD cable, are using the TV as a monitor, or are watching Blu-Ray discs. I have a 720p TV/monitor and a 1080p TV/monitor, and the 1080p one ended up on my desk because it is just so superior to the other one as a computer monitor, even though I like it better as a TV as well.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:32:55 -0400, desgnr wrote:

http://www.xkcd.com/732