Buying new TV

Page 1 of 4

Whats the difference ? I can get a Sony LCD 32" 720p 60hz. for $ 404.00 A Vizio 32" 1080p 60 hz. for $494.00 or a Vizio 32" 1080p 120 hz. for $ $548.00
Which is the best buy ?
Whats the difference between 720p & 1080p & 60 hz.or 120 hz. Is there really a difference i can see ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Is Google broken again? Damn, the same day that Best Buy is closed too.
---
yes. there's a big difference between 720 and 1080 if you have HD reciever. 120 hz is minimum in my opinion. 240 hz is better. pay the extra bucks for the vizio 1080 120hz.

Yep I stayed in a motel a few days ago, had to stay over a weekend mostly doing paper work and watching TV. LCD TV was 720 60Hz, almost made the paper work enjoyable. Beats the heck out of CRT TV though.
JImmie

No there isn't. Especially on a 32" TV! When you start talking about TV's bigger than 50", then there might be a slight visual difference, but that depends on viewing distance. And what about all of the networks that only broadcast in 720? A 1080 TV isn't gonna a bit of difference then.

Wasted money on a TV that small!

IMO, get the 1080p. I can't speak for the brands...
Blu Ray disc require 1080p for the most vivid of pictures.

It makes NO difference on a TV that small.

My eyes can only see 24 colors. They (colors) sure look better at 1080p.
I'm after a 32" TV, mostly so I can fall asleep in front of it at night :-/
A 720p would work!

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv /

Yes, exactly what I would expect. The higher resolution really isn't noticeable unless you have a much larger screen. The other red herring is the 60hz vs 120hz refresh rate. While 120 is better, I think from a practical standpoint, few people would notice the difference.
But all this makes for good gaming of customers into whatever the store wants to sell. I bought a Sony LCD TV at Circuit City that was 120hz. The salesman asks me if I need cables, for which I was already prepared with an answer before entering the store because I knew what was coming. I told him I already had an HDMI cable. He proceeds to tell me that because this TV is "120hz", the cable I have won't work and I need a new Monster cable for $100+. Obviously he didn't know he was dealing with an electrical engineer that knows the difference between the refresh rate of the display and the digital transfer speed of HDMI. And they have nothing to do with each other. I actually later bought the HDMI cable on Ebay for $15.
While I was paying for the TV, I watched another salesman pull that scam on a senior citizen that was buying a $300 TV. He wound up paying probably $75 bucks for outrageously priced cables.
On May 20, 7:49am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Meritline.com normally has 6' gold-plated 1.3 HDMI 3 for 6.99 and free shipping. (bought 'em...use 'em) Don't get ripped (unless your abs need it)!
On 5/20/2010 12:50 PM, Bob Villa wrote:

I second that. I've been using the same Meritline cables for more than 6 mos. They work perfectly; 1080p connection is sharp as a tack.

I told him I already had an HDMI cable. He

Yes, but Monster uses oxygen free copper. That was their claim to fame with speaker wire in the past.

Monster cable is an overpriced joke.
Ron wrote:

You should try Monster Energy Drinks, talk about overpriced.
TDD

Never tried it, but they provide huge sponsorships in Supercross (motorcycle racing) and at lest one in NASCAR for a former SC rider Ricky Carmichael.

Careful. Most of their earnings come from suing people that type "Monster".

At least in the case of speaker wire there was some remote basis to argue that the characteristics of the cable could affect the sound quality because the signal is analog. Not saying that I believe their oxygen free story, just that the cable characteristics do have an affect on the analog signal. In the case of HDMI, all you need to determine at the ends of the cable are if the signal is high or low, ie 1 or 0, so there is far less basis to believe a typical HDMI cable needs to be anything special.
On May 21, 4:54am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Bull. Google coat hangers vs monster cables.