Buying new rollaway & tool chest set

I'm looking to replace my 25 year old and undersized Craftsman rollaway & tool chest set with a bigger one. It's amazing how much these things cost, 2, 3 grand and up for some of them. I recently saw a Husky set at Home Depot which looks well made (has ball bearing drawer slides, etc) and is about the right size (9500 cu", 23 drawers). Seems a relative bargain at $700. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any other sources of good quality/reasonably priced tool chests. Also, my understanding is that Husky is now the "house brand" for Home Depot. This wasn't always the case, I believe the brand was considered of decent quality in the past, I'm wondering if this has changed now that their strictly "HD".
TIA
Dan
<< I'm looking to replace my 25 year old and undersized Craftsman rollaway & tool chest set with a bigger one. >>
You want respect? SnapOn, Matco, Mac. Prospecting around in want ads, pawn shops or eBay for one of these brands will get you more for the buck than any box store lookalike. The tip off is the actual unit weight; the box store brands are thin gage sheet metal and have hurry up paint jobs that don't survive much abuse. Been there, done that, major mistake to buy cheap when you're dealing with long lived tools of any kind. HTH
Joe
Joe Bobst wrote:

Same here. Got an older Snap on box from retiring auto mechanic, I think I can pass it onto my grand children. Indestructible. Tony

Hehe.
Vidmar, Lista, Lyons, or Equipto modular cabinets......
Heres some Stanley Vidmar with fresh paint in our shop :
http://www.kalamaprecision.com/images/PDC_0077.jpg
Best to leave em stationary though--mine are all bolted together so they cant tip over and maim someone for life.
With 16 roller bearings and 400lbs capacity per drawer, the drawers still glide almost effortlessly even fully loaded.
Expect to pay $250 ~ $500 and upwards for servicable used units........
--

SVL

Respect I got, I'm not looking to impress anyone, just get more storage space without spending enough to buy a nice used car.
I'm sure you're right that the brands you mention are superior to the HD example. For 3-5K a set, they better be. And if I made my living getting in and out of the thing hundreds of times a week, that would be the way to go. The question is whether or not I need the added robustness a a 300#, double walled tool chest (just the TOP for that weight) for my level of use. The answer is no. Nice to have, but I can think of many MORE FUNNER things to spend the extra $$$ on ;-) Sure, I'd love to find a great set used, and I'm lokking on ebay. The thing is, often when someone's selling a tool chest, they want to sell the tools as well. 99% of which would probably just duplicate what I already have; The last thing I need is MORE tools. Another problem with ebay is getting something this big/heavy shipped, if it's not within reasonable driving distance.
Thanks for the reply.
Dan
Joe Bobst wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:46:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Ditto, here!
I bought a "Homak" unit from Costco 2 years ago. Ball bearing drawer guides. About $650. It's 2- piece and was MUCH larger than any Sears unit or combo that I could find. The top opens with a touch--has gas strut supports. Even included drawer liners.
It's 50"H x 41"W x 18"D (plus about 4" higher for the casters and a couple inches wider for the push handle).
It IS quite heavy (it was about all two husky employees could do to load the two crates onto my pickup truck), and it took a bit of doing for me to unload and stack the pair in my garage!
They carried this set for a couple years. The one I've seen most recently at Costco is stainless steel (mine's red powder coat)--for about the same price. In my experience they've only carried a single model.
I'm absolutely delighted with mine!
--John W. Wells
John-I've had several people mention these, so I finally went to the local Sam's Club (not a member so it's a PITA) to look at one. Unfortunately, the numbnuts had the display example locked & LOST the damned key, so I couldn't actually open the drawers (idiots) but the price was $652, and from what I could tell look very nicely made. I was able to get the web site for the company in that makes them, http://www.steelworld-tj.com/index.htm . The set is about the same size as the Husky one I was looking at, total weight for the pair is 430#, which I think speaks to their robustness.
Dan
John W. Wells wrote:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 15:12:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

To tell the truth, the floor sample I saw at Costco had a badly warped base cabinet. So at first glance I rejected it. But closer examination convinced me it must have been dropped off the dock (Costco, remember?)
Those locking drawers (open only when the top lid is up) bug me. So the first thing I did was get out my ancient-but-trusty Dremel tool and cut off the two drop-down locking bars.

I was alone when I assembled mine. Used the hydraulic loader bucket of my tractor to lift the upper unit into place!
--JWWells

I bought a 4 foot high roll around at Lowes, their house brand. I am smart enough to not overload the drawers and it works just fine for me. Before I bought I checked out Craftsman and in my opinion the one I bought was in the middle of Sears's product line. I bought at Lowes cause I had an 20% off coupon and the Husky stuff looked similar.
Check the HD web page, you can put in your name and address, they will send you a 10% off coupon if you want to wait...
SQLit-Thanks for the tip. I looked on the site but couldn't find anything on the coupon. Do you know the link?
Dan
SQLit wrote:

I got a really good deal on three stackable Craftsman chests last Father's Day. They were right at $600 for the three, and they had the ball bearing side wheels. One base wheeled cabinet had the big drawers, the one that sat on top of it had six drawers and a top lid and tray under that. Then there was a separate six drawer cabinet. I looked around, and that was the best deal I came up with for that price. I have seen the Husky's and others. Stick with the ball bearing drawers. They last longer.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

then got some metal office file cabinest... two drawers each set... the sideways kind(not the kind that you pull out a 4 ft drawer to you to get the files folders)... got two of them, none on top of the other.. bolted together... works great for most of my larger items that i want to get out of the way... not so good for sockets and such, but do have a flat box in one of them with the standard stuff that i use almost every day.. dont have to go hunting for stuff(pliers, screwdriver, hammer, etc).. the rest is the soldering irons kits, very small easy to get to air pump, vacuum pump. electric test equipt, etc.. you get the idea.. the cost of these cabinets was FREE.. could not pass up the price.. i have seen some similar at thrift stores recently for about $20.00 or so.. worth looking into....
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in message

I bought the HD line and haven't had any problems. Even though the base unit has wheels, I seldom move it around. The drawers work smoothly (I've had it for about three years) and the paint hasn't chipped, faded or cracked. I got it at a decent price and it does exactly what I want it to do. I assume that if you're looking at high-end tool storage that you will be putting high-end tools into it. If not, you are just gilding the lily. Put your money into your tools.