buying new 3.5 ton a/c

Page 2 of 2
Hi, m Ransley, I checked out the Trane web site, but didn't find the page you referred to (a seer sheet showing seer increase and $ saved), but I found some phone numbers for local dealers, so on Monday I'll call and ask for a bid. Thx, BoJo
On 3 Dec 2005 18:50:52 -0800, "havin snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Apparently one should be real careful with the Trane site. I just nosed around there and found the following:
I used the "customizer" and it spit out data for three packaged heat pump units: XE1200, XL1200 and XL1400. (I would think it would try giving me a XL1600 option too, but I digress)
The HSPF for these are given as: 12.8, 13.75 and 15.6 respectively. The SEER are: 12, 12.5 and 14.4. Yet when I look up the data for these, for example:
http://www.trane.com/Residential/Products/PackagedUnits/HeatPumps/PHP_XL1400.aspx
I see something like "14.00 SEER Range with up to 7.95 HSPF" for the XL1400.
Then when I used the "comparison" feature, the XL1400 SEER is given as "up to 13.75."
So the SEER seems to between 0 and 14.4 and the HSPF is between 7.95 and 15.6.
Right Wes, apparently one should be carefull nosing around the Trane site.
Look at the Trane XL 19i 19.5 seer
Look at their Seer sheet, it shows operating costs of apx 8 seer and up.

Yea...that POS is only 19.5 SEER in ONE tonnage. ONE. So...if you want a 5 ton 19.5 SEER unit, there aint one.
I havent looked at the site, but I probably need to compare what they list there, with the dealer sheets I have here.

1- SEER is kinda low. Wouldn't a 14 or higher SEER be better? CY: Higher efficiency costs more up front. But can cost less in the long run. Did you ask if they had more efficient models to choose?
2-I don't know if this is a scroll or reciprocating compressor. I've read on-line that scroll is better. Is this correct? CY: Scrolls tend to be quieter, and more energy efficient. The other thing you can do for more efficiency is to use a TXV instead of an orifice (or "piston") for the evaporator. Ask your HVAC company about that.
3-I don't know of the motor is one or two speed. Two would be more efficient, right? CY: As I understand, the two speed allows the outdoor fan to run slower when there is less demand for air flow.
4-I am of the opinion that this unit would use Freon. Wouldn't a Puron-using unit be better in the long run? CY: Puron is fairly new technology. It also has problems with absorbing moisture from the air. If it were my house, I would choose the proven R-22. It will be available for a couple years after the phase out, as many guys will stock up.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. CY: Ask if the company's techs have haircuts, and if they wear earrings (for men this is a concern). Avoid companies whose techs have long hair (for men) or earrings. Also avoid companies where they use a lot of crude language, or where they try to pressure you into making a rapid decision. Might also want to ask if the techs they use are legal citizens of the country of residence, and if all the techs have EPA cards. Also ask if the techs have green cards -- avoid companies who use techs with green cards.
BoJo