Buying Garage Door Opener

Page 2 of 2
On 12/28/2012 9:39 AM, gonjah wrote:

I ended up going to HD and getting the chain drive Chamberlain for $170. I'm installing it now. Looks pretty straight forward. I'll follow up if there is anything interesting about it.
http://tinyurl.com/cudcda9
One step down from the Whisper belt drive but I don't care how quiet it is.

Chamberlain/Liftmaster ....nuff said.
"gonjah" wrote in message
I'm replacing my 2 car garage door opener. The one that's in there is a Stanley (not longer makes garage door openers) with a burned out PCB board. I want one from a company that's going to be around for replacement parts and has a good track record.
Jim
Jim Check out Overheaddoor.com Based in Texas and make their own parts. Have used them twice ( two different homes) (In Colorado) Both ones are 18 foot wide by 8 feet high. Hard finish on both sides and insulated. Saying this to show they are very heavy doors. Have the 10,000 lifts springs. I estimate we have had over 24,000 lifts before one spring broke. 17 years of use. Very happy with their products. WW
On 12/28/2012 9:39 AM, gonjah wrote:

Well I'm done installing the opener. Remarkably easy and good instructions.
For those that didn't see it was this one. Works like a charm and key-less entry too.
http://tinyurl.com/c5cbps6
After reading your responses I thought: "If these bozos can do it I can." :)
Thanks guys
On Friday, December 28, 2012 8:39:57 AM UTC-7, gonjah wrote:

The only choices are going to be Genie and Chamberlain, and the latter also produces Liftmaster and Sears Craftsman. Chamberlain seems to be less fussy than Genie.
What burned out on the PCB? Generally if it's not the CPU (chip with about 24 pins), the parts are generic and cheap. Sometimes just resoldering it will fix it because vibration from the motor cracks solder joints, especially around cable connectors and heavy parts. Relays are known to burn out contacts, in which case you may be able to swap one with the relay for the overhead lamp, which receives the least punishment. Sometimes the transistor that drives the relay coil burns out, in which case you need to replace not only it but also its protective diode.