Buying Garage Door Opener

I'm replacing my 2 car garage door opener. The one that's in there is a Stanley (not longer makes garage door openers) with a burned out PCB board. I want one from a company that's going to be around for replacement parts and has a good track record.

Jim

Reply to
gonjah

Stanley didn't make the GDO's, anyways...they simply licensed the name. I've had/have one that's probably 30YO or maybe older by now.

If otherwise it's still good mechanically, and you're lucky to have a local guy like the one here, call him up and ask him for a salvaged box from one he's squirreled away for parts...I've saved up a couple extras that he's removed and for a couple bucks each I'm good to go for quite some time yet, I expect...

As for replacements, I don't think there's really a hill o' beans between any of 'em that's actually significant. When I put one in the other garage a few years that hadn't ever had one I just went down to the local DoIt Best home center outlet when they had a coupon for a chain-drive at $100 and change. It works just fine and has been (I think) 3 year now...

Reply to
dpb

I don't want to put anymore money into the one I have. It doesn't look like a quality opener is all that expensive. I figure somewhere between $375 to $500 installed with all the bells and whistles. The Stanley is old and not worth fixing. I already looked into fixing it and it didn't make financial sense.

I'd like to know the premier GDO mfgs: Genie? Chamberlain?

Reply to
gonjah

I'm no authority on this tho I've had them for at least 30 years. I like Genie tho some say Lift Master is good. I don't think I've ever had a Lift Master but had a Stanley at one time. FWIW, I once had a burnt out board which I had replaced on another house and since I put surge protectors on all my garage door openers. So far no burnt out boards but I'm not sure if the surge protectors had anything to do with that or just luck. My current Genie garage door opener is 14.5 yrs old and still working fine. I do lubricate the door, etc... if that matters, annually.

Reply to
Doug

Most items in the price range do not make financial sense to repair. The openers are usually less than $ 200 in the store. By the time you get a repair part, it is almost half that much. If you hve to get someone to actually do the repair , then a new one is still about the same price.

I would not worry if the company was going to be around for long or not as far as the replacement parts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There is some truth to that. It depends on what part fails. If it's a $10 gear it's one thing. If it's a $75 circuit board, it's another.

I have 30+ years of experience with Sears, several units and no problems.

Reply to
trader4

Per gonjah:

When I had my garage door replaced about 10 years ago, I just called the nearest garage door business.

Beeeeeg mistake.

I would advise asking around the neighborhood to find somebody with a good track record.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Chamberlain has bee around for years, and they make some for others to resell as well.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The higher end Genie is pretty decent, and most of the others are just Chamberlains in a different box.

Reply to
clare

That's what I understand. I just ordered a Chamberlain Liftmaster whisper drive. It's the highest rated one I could find.

The guy said most are Chamberlain's

Reply to
gonjah

On 12/28/2012 9:56 AM, gonjah wrote: ...

It cost me

Reply to
dpb

I've always used Genie and have never had problems. All of them have been screw drive. In 40+ years I've had one transformer burn out and I was able to replace that myself and I had one "gear insert" (the part in the carriage that meshes with the screw) wear out. I've still got the original one I bought 40+ years ago working in a rental. The newest one is their Accelerator (they might spell it differently) model. It closes at normal speed but opens at double speed and it self-adjusts its open and close limits.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I ended up going to HD and getting the chain drive Chamberlain for $170. I'm installing it now. Looks pretty straight forward. I'll follow up if there is anything interesting about it.

One step down from the Whisper belt drive but I don't care how quiet it is.

Reply to
gonjah

Chamberlain/Liftmaster ....nuff said.

Reply to
Meanie

If you have to pay more than $75, you're paying too much. I've gotten two off of Craigslist for less than that each and both have worked swell for over five years.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm replacing my 2 car garage door opener. The one that's in there is a Stanley (not longer makes garage door openers) with a burned out PCB board. I want one from a company that's going to be around for replacement parts and has a good track record.

Jim

Jim Check out Overheaddoor.com Based in Texas and make their own parts. Have used them twice ( two different homes) (In Colorado) Both ones are 18 foot wide by 8 feet high. Hard finish on both sides and insulated. Saying this to show they are very heavy doors. Have the 10,000 lifts springs. I estimate we have had over 24,000 lifts before one spring broke. 17 years of use. Very happy with their products. WW

Reply to
WW

$170 for a new unit is pretty good. $75 for a used one is too much. I've gotten both of mine free. Yes, One needed a $17.00? part.

Reply to
clare

Well I'm done installing the opener. Remarkably easy and good instructions.

For those that didn't see it was this one. Works like a charm and key-less entry too.

After reading your responses I thought: "If these bozos can do it I can." :)

Thanks guys

Reply to
gonjah

The only choices are going to be Genie and Chamberlain, and the latter also produces Liftmaster and Sears Craftsman. Chamberlain seems to be less fussy than Genie.

What burned out on the PCB? Generally if it's not the CPU (chip with about 24 pins), the parts are generic and cheap. Sometimes just resoldering it will fix it because vibration from the motor cracks solder joints, especially around cable connectors and heavy parts. Relays are known to burn out contacts, in which case you may be able to swap one with the relay for the overhead lamp, which receives the least punishment. Sometimes the transistor that drives the relay coil burns out, in which case you need to replace not only it but also its protective diode.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

I thought all garage doors were fake, as 99% of garages were converted to illegal apartments.

Reply to
Existential Angst