Buying Garage Door Opener

Page 1 of 2
I'm replacing my 2 car garage door opener. The one that's in there is a Stanley (not longer makes garage door openers) with a burned out PCB board. I want one from a company that's going to be around for replacement parts and has a good track record.
Jim
On 12/28/2012 9:39 AM, gonjah wrote:

Stanley didn't make the GDO's, anyways...they simply licensed the name. I've had/have one that's probably 30YO or maybe older by now.
If otherwise it's still good mechanically, and you're lucky to have a local guy like the one here, call him up and ask him for a salvaged box from one he's squirreled away for parts...I've saved up a couple extras that he's removed and for a couple bucks each I'm good to go for quite some time yet, I expect...
As for replacements, I don't think there's really a hill o' beans between any of 'em that's actually significant. When I put one in the other garage a few years that hadn't ever had one I just went down to the local DoIt Best home center outlet when they had a coupon for a chain-drive at $100 and change. It works just fine and has been (I think) 3 year now...
On 12/28/2012 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:

I don't want to put anymore money into the one I have. It doesn't look like a quality opener is all that expensive. I figure somewhere between $375 to $500 installed with all the bells and whistles. The Stanley is old and not worth fixing. I already looked into fixing it and it didn't make financial sense.
I'd like to know the premier GDO mfgs: Genie? Chamberlain?

Most items in the price range do not make financial sense to repair. The openers are usually less than $ 200 in the store. By the time you get a repair part, it is almost half that much. If you hve to get someone to actually do the repair , then a new one is still about the same price.
I would not worry if the company was going to be around for long or not as far as the replacement parts.

There is some truth to that. It depends on what part fails. If it's a $10 gear it's one thing. If it's a $75 circuit board, it's another.
I have 30+ years of experience with Sears, several units and no problems.
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 08:09:46 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I've always bought Sears, mainly because it's easy but also I can get another. The mounting doesn't change much so a new one will usually drop in place fairly easily. They last at least a decade, so when anything happens I just replace them. Repairing them isn't worth the aggravation.
Per gonjah:

When I had my garage door replaced about 10 years ago, I just called the nearest garage door business.
Beeeeeg mistake.
I would advise asking around the neighborhood to find somebody with a good track record.
--
Pete Cresswell

just Chamberlains in a different box.
On 12/28/2012 11:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's what I understand. I just ordered a Chamberlain Liftmaster whisper drive. It's the highest rated one I could find.
http://tinyurl.com/cnuxz3d
The guy said most are Chamberlain's
On 12/28/2012 9:56 AM, gonjah wrote: ...

It cost me <$5 for the old box and about 10 minutes to swap the board. That makes financial sense to me...I've about $10-15 "invested" in a couple of others.
I don't think there's any significant difference between any of 'em and surely don't think they can possibly be worth over $200 installed in an existing location that's just a replacement.
gonjah wrote:

If you have to pay more than $75, you're paying too much. I've gotten two off of Craigslist for less than that each and both have worked swell for over five years.

I've gotten both of mine free. Yes, One needed a $17.00? part.

I thought all garage doors were fake, as 99% of garages were converted to illegal apartments.
--
EA

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 08:16:18 -0500, "Existential Angst"

often shops and "man caves".
Pretty hard to sell a house here without a "legal parking space" - which means behind the front of the building line. Don't need to use it for parking, but it better be there. You will NOT get a legal variance to close it off.
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 08:16:18 -0500, "Existential Angst"

In your slums, that's not surprising.

Oh? You couldn't afford rent, in my slum -- much less qualify for a mortgage. Dumbfuck.
--
EA

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:53:44 -0500, "Existential Angst"

You're about as smart as Dougie.

I'm no authority on this tho I've had them for at least 30 years. I like Genie tho some say Lift Master is good. I don't think I've ever had a Lift Master but had a Stanley at one time. FWIW, I once had a burnt out board which I had replaced on another house and since I put surge protectors on all my garage door openers. So far no burnt out boards but I'm not sure if the surge protectors had anything to do with that or just luck. My current Genie garage door opener is 14.5 yrs old and still working fine. I do lubricate the door, etc... if that matters, annually.

Chamberlain has bee around for years, and they make some for others to resell as well.

I've always used Genie and have never had problems. All of them have been screw drive. In 40+ years I've had one transformer burn out and I was able to replace that myself and I had one "gear insert" (the part in the carriage that meshes with the screw) wear out. I've still got the original one I bought 40+ years ago working in a rental. The newest one is their Accelerator (they might spell it differently) model. It closes at normal speed but opens at double speed and it self-adjusts its open and close limits.