Buying and installing a new gas water heater

Page 2 of 2
On 9/19/2013 5:26 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I know someone that just had Lowes install one. $540. They probably subbed it out to your 150 guy.
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:55:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The basic equation I found was that someone like Sears would install, for about $800 or you could put one in for about $800.
The difference is that you got a MUCH BETTER water heater putting your own in, than the one Sears offered.
It was a while for me, but I remember that being roughly the equation.
It wasn't hard at all, what with a teenaged kid helping me with the heavy lifting. Bolt out. Bolt in. Pretty simple.
Even the gas line is simple. Unscrew old flex gas line, screw in new flex gas line.
I don't remember any part being difficult.
Eddie Powalski wrote:

Hi, Last one I had put in by Sears was in '96. It was 10 year warrantied one. Still working fine.
On 9/19/2013 8:47 PM, Eddie Powalski wrote:

I should have clarified. That $540 is labor only. The WH was another $600 or so.
For $540, I'll come to your place anywhere in the USA (continental only) and install your water heater. Shouldn't take more than one hour, even if new fittings are involved. $150 absolute max.
You'd turn down a trip to Hawaii? Or, you could go to Alaska, and rub noses with Eskimos. You're no fun.... (grin here).
On 9/19/2013 11:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

USA (continental only) and install your water heater. Shouldn't take more than one hour, even if new fittings are involved. $150 absolute max.

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:37:56 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I'm not so sure there is much profit in doing it for $150, at least not here in NJ. I think a lot of people underestimate the overhead and costs of running a business. Car service places are charging around $100 an hour for labor now. And putting in a WH, taking the old one away involves travel time and a truck too. Two guys, a truck, etc, I would be charging more than $150, certainly here in NJ. And if it were NYC, forget about it. Drive across a bridge or tunnel and it's $10 to $13. Park the truck, $30. A permit is required here too. Who pays for that? Run into a problem, it could take extra time. Then whatever profit you have left, the govt takes 30 to 50% of that.
just how many homes explode yearly from natural gas?
most home fires are caused by cooking.......
perhaps homes shouldnt be built with kitchens?
Now, that's a thought. After all, no one needs a four burner stove. Paraphrasing the politician "no one NEEDS four burners to cook a pot of stew!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvKXJ6VTlAM

On 9/20/2013 5:50 PM, bob haller wrote:

On Friday, September 20, 2013 5:50:02 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

More specifically, how many homes explode yearly from natural gas where it was caused by a WH installation that was incorrectly done by a homeowner, versus how many homes explode yearly from nat gas where the work was done incorrectly by a pro, where the install was done correctly, etc?
I'm betting the number attributed to HO's is small. There aren't that many nat gas explosions in houses to begin with. I can't recall one where the cause was determined to be an incorrect installation by the HO. And then let's look at the total number of deaths each year and compare it to other sources, like smoking in bed, leaving a stove burner turned on, slipping in the shower, drowning in a pool, etc.