Buying a new chainsaw bar - sprocket vs no sprocket ?

I need to buy a 36 inch bar and chain for my trusty old Stihl 031 for basically a one job use (a 55 inch diameter Red Oak truck about 8 ft high - maybe 2-3 hrs of use but I want it to work and the prices are about the same at the web vendor - http://www.jackssmallengines.com/cb_stihl_hardtop.cfm - What are the pros and cons here if they price is no an issue ? -thanks
stick with Stihl. You may only need it for one job now but never say *never* will you need to use it again. Take it from an old Stihl user, stick with Stihl
I need to buy a 36 inch bar and chain for my trusty old Stihl 031 for basically a one job use (a 55 inch diameter Red Oak truck about 8 ft high - maybe 2-3 hrs of use but I want it to work and the prices are about the same at the web vendor - http://www.jackssmallengines.com/cb_stihl_hardtop.cfm - What are the pros and cons here if they price is no an issue ? -thanks
an 031 is going to have a hard time pulling a 36 inch bar and chain. if you buy 3/8, bar and chain, .063 guageit will be maybe 115 drive links. Just cause you can buy it and hookit up doesn't mean that it will work well. Better do your homework and run a 28 and come in from it like a pro.
Yep, 36" is -way- too much bar for that saw. It is going to cut very slowly if at all in that tree. The pros consider a 20" about right and 24" about max on a 031. I run ms310 (same as 031) with 20", would have bought it with 24" but already had a 041 with 24".
Harry k.
Ok on the 28, so is there a difference in buying sprocket over no sprocket bar ? -thanks HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING wrote:

if
links.
work
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com posted on that vast internet thingie:

Not realy sure what your question is, but the need to replace the sprocket would depend upon its condition. Generally I have replaced just bars and chains.
Steve at SELLCOM
--
http://www.sellcom.com
Discount multihandset cordless phones by Panasonic AT&T,

If the chain size is being changed then the sprocket as well. Those sprockets stand up pretty good. I too have rarely needed to change them.
--
Talk is cheap! Thats why I can afford it.