buying a jobsite generator.. advice wanted..

There are reasons why an OHV or OHC engine _can_ be preferable to flathead: better volumetric efficiency, higher compression-ratio while avoiding detonation, improved serviceability, etc., etc. Of major interest would be CR, and thus efficiency advantage over flatheads.

Other aspects are of interest, if you're really going to make it do some work, like cast-iron bore vice steel. (Microscopic surface irregularities in CI cause it to not be "squegeed" of lube.)

I'd check reviews for current specifics.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Harbor Freight.

A 5000 watt Honda generator for under $1000.00? I don't think so.

Reply to
G Henslee

You will get what you pay for. I ran a job site on a 15 kw Kohler and several Generac's. Except for the first week I had one of the Generac's in the shop every week. I wanted to buy Yamaha or Honda. Mostly because of the homes that were near by. Exhaust noise 8-10 hours a day is one of the fastest ways I know to piss off the neighbors. Hondas and Yamaha's are some of the quietest out there. Also pretty good on fuel.

This one looks ok, though I have no knowledge of it.

db is sort of like standing next to your air conditioner when it is running.

Reply to
SQLit

Spec's I need:

  1. min 5000 Watts
  2. At least two 20amp 120V outlets and one 240V outlet.
  3. under ,000

I am just looking for general advice as far as what to look for. ie. OHV engine worth it? Or a particular brand recommendation would also be nice.

thanks in advance

Matt

Reply to
Slumlord

Hi, Up here in Alberta, Honda rules. Specially in winter time Honda runs best. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have a 5000 watt Lifter/Pramac that I bought at Harbor Fright a few years ago for $700 on sale. It has a Honda GX270 OHV engine (er, maybe OHC). I usually only run it about 1-2 hours total per day. The ignition coil failed recently but other than that it has been trouble free. It is a lot quieter than a POS Homelite that I have (had) with a 10 HP Tecumseh engine. On the Homelite the field coil shorted out and it would have cost about $300 for a new one. The whole generator cost $450 new. I bought a new generator head on eBay for $180 and it now works but it sounds like about 50 angry lawmowers coming at ya.

I recently bought a Robin generator (4800 watt) at Harbor Fright for $460. It had a 9 HP engine that is basically designed to compete with the Honda GX engines. It was a little bit quieter than the Honda GX. I ended up taking it back because it ran really rough which appeared to be an ignition problem. They replaced it and the second one had the same problem. It WOULD have been a very good generator for the price if only they got the bugs out of them before they put them on the ship from China.

As for Honda I just wore out an eu2000. It had over 12,000 hours on it. I bought a new one to replace it. Now I have to find out about fixing the old one.

Personally I would not buy a generator that has a Tecumseh or Briggs engine. Honda definately. Robin probably. Don't buy any that you can't take back if you don't like it.

Reply to
Ulysses

I had this in mind when I replied.

?ModelName=eb5000

Reply to
G Henslee

Oh, I wasn't negating what you said. The generator I described is NOT a Honda, it just has a Honda engine. Personally if I was going to use it a lot I'd pay more for the real thing. But I think they start out at about $1500 for 5000 watts.

Reply to
Ulysses