Buying a house with mold-what to do?

Page 2 of 2

Having had personal experience with this, and done a lot of research, I'm with those who say that the danger is overblown for most people. The exception is the small number of people with serious allergy problems.
If you and your family are not in that category, then what you have is not a mold problem but a moisture problem. The mold is just an indicator. You need a good inspector or contractor to tell you what is needed to correct that, and then make your decision about purchase. Personally, I'd factor that into the price rather than try to force the seller to fix it. That way I'd have more control over the fix.
Once the moisture problem is fixed the mold goes dormant and eventually dies. You could spray it with bleach or other chemicals, but since it isn't in your regular living space I wouldn't bother.
On 16 Dec 2003 17:53:05 -0800, andrei snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Andrei) wrote:

No matter what?????
Professional mold removal can easily exceed $100,000 on a $100,000 house.
The sellers limitation of $750 maximum clearly spells out what he will do. Nothing more.
Your "no matter what" is a pipe dream.
PJ
(Andrei) wrote:

You do have an advantage at this point over the seller, since he is now obligated to disclose this situation to other potential purchasers. If you really want the house and are willing to live with it (or repair it), get a couple of proper quotes to fix the problem, discount the offer to reflect those quotes and either the seller accepts or you walk. Of course, this assumes that your purchase agreement has a clause for a satisfactory building inspection.
As much as I dislike real estate agents, check with your's.
--
Jim Sullivan
Don't plant your bad days, they turn into bad weeks,

I think I would either hop onto the Internet and ask a bunch of strangers, who have never seen the house, what to do, or I'd look for a house that didn't have serious problems I know nothing about ;o)