Having had personal experience with this, and done a lot of research, I'm
with those who say that the danger is overblown for most people. The
exception is the small number of people with serious allergy problems.
If you and your family are not in that category, then what you have is not a
mold problem but a moisture problem. The mold is just an indicator. You need
a good inspector or contractor to tell you what is needed to correct that,
and then make your decision about purchase. Personally, I'd factor that into
the price rather than try to force the seller to fix it. That way I'd have
more control over the fix.
Once the moisture problem is fixed the mold goes dormant and eventually
dies. You could spray it with bleach or other chemicals, but since it isn't
in your regular living space I wouldn't bother.
On 16 Dec 2003 17:53:05 -0800, andrei firstname.lastname@example.org (Andrei) wrote:
No matter what?????
Professional mold removal can easily exceed $100,000 on a $100,000
The sellers limitation of $750 maximum clearly spells out what he
will do. Nothing more.
Your "no matter what" is a pipe dream.
You do have an advantage at this point over the seller, since he is now
obligated to disclose this situation to other potential purchasers. If you
really want the house and are willing to live with it (or repair it), get a
couple of proper quotes to fix the problem, discount the offer to reflect
those quotes and either the seller accepts or you walk. Of course, this
assumes that your purchase agreement has a clause for a satisfactory
As much as I dislike real estate agents, check with your's.
Don't plant your bad days, they turn into bad weeks,
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.