Buying a Ceiling Fan

Page 3 of 3
cybercat wrote:

The proof is in the pudding. Every time I lick my eyebrows in public, several follow me home.
On 5/18/2008 2:34 PM HeyBub spake thus:

You dog, you!
conversation with the average voter.

I've long been a fan of Casablanca intellitouch fans. They tend to be absolutely silent and perfectly balanced, but at a starting price of around $300, they're out of a lot of folks price range. Hampton bay is not a brand, but rather a trademark of Home Depot. The fans are actually made by a variety of companies, some are exellent for the price, and I recommend these without hesitation, having hung hundreds, I've rarely had bad ones. The one fan I would recommend not buying is Hunter. Hunter actually ownes Casablanca. Many of their fans are extremely heavy and require special mounting, beyond the standard "fan support box".

I could spend this if I really loved the fan and light. Of course I would rather not!

Very good to know. I will check them out online, I think the selection is probably better.

That's very good to know. They do make some pretty ones, but this is a 1960s split level, I don't want to do anything big until I can knock out the walls on the first floor (except the fireplace wall) and gut the kitchen. Years away.
wrote >

Good thing about it is even though they last so long you can still repair it if necessary. Few months back someone had a 15yr old Casablanca that did odd things with speeds as well as hummed. After making sure dimmer was not sending it for a loop, I looked at Casablanca's website. Based on the model number, they had a new elecronics kit for it. New board, reverse switch and pullchain switch. It was like $17 total and fit like originals. Fan back like new.

I definitely want to buy the best quality I can. I see the value in this.

Alot of cheaper fans use a very small base bulb which limits you in wattage.

I saw this today! The unit we liked the best used three 40-watt bulbs. And, did you know you can't use regular bulbs in the newer ones? The Lowe's lady said it was a recent thing, she called it some sort of marketing conspiracy.
"cybercat" wrote

Whatever you do, buy a decent one!
I'll tell you what happened to us, buying a cheap one.
It's the one, which is over the bed. My wife was making the bed, a blade broke off, and whacked her in the forehead. Apparently, this happened about 9 A.M. I was at work, she is supposed to go to work @ 3 in the afternoon. I got a call on my cell @ about 4, wondering if something was wrong with her, work couldn't locate her. I tried and tried to reach her on the home phone, and on her cell phone. I then frantically called 911. I rushed home, and was greeted by the police dept, the fire department, and the EMS. The entire road was blocked off, and they let me through the barricades.
Anyways, my wife was unconscious, they took her to the hospital, where she spent 9 days. In the mean time, the dogs hadn't been let out, and they went in the house. When my wife fell from being hit in the head, she knocked over a lamp, which was on, and it burnt the carpet.
So, that's the story. Don't cheap out when buying a ceiling fan.
cybercat wrote:

I installed three in a rental recently.
If you're getting one with lights find one where the light is an integral part of the motor housing, and not an attachment that's bolted on below the motor.
I had a really hard time finding a fan with a light that wasn't really obtrusive. I found nothing at Home Depot. At Lowe's I found one.
"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdu849-22716-L05&lpage=none"

"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdu849-22716-L05&lpage=none" This is the one I really love! When I looked at it, I wondered how well it cools, given that it has only three blades. How well do you find it works? And how big is the room(s) you put it in.

More important than the number of blades is the shape or airfoil of them. Ceiling fans are meant to give a gentle breeze anyway so they should be fine. Looks better than average IMO.
wrote in message

cybercat wrote:

You have very good taste.

Why, thank you! I sent my husband the link to it, we'll see if he likes it.
One thing I wonder about--our present big gawky one has a large drum-like base that is flush with the ceiling, whereas this one does not. So we will have to do come cosmetic repair to the ceiling, right?
cybercat wrote:

Or use one of those ceiling fan medallions that cover the hole if it's bigger than the base.
cybercat wrote:

I have no idea how well it cools because it's in a rental unit. If I call the tenants to ask, they'll probably demand I install central air conditioning! The fans were put in in January when it was cold. They seem to move plenty of air around. The old ones were five blade fans without lights. The rooms are about 10' x 14'.
You can see pictures of them installed at "
http://nordicgroup.us/apricotmanor/IMG_0030.jpg " "
http://nordicgroup.us/apricotmanor/IMG_0029.jpg "

Looks nice!
cybercat wrote:

There was another reason I liked this one. It could be mounted very close to the ceiling. Actually I would have preferred a flush mount, but I couldn't find a flush mount with the lights I wanted. Also see "http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/model.asp?ProdNo 74-BNW" which might be good for a kitchen, but not a bedroom.