Buying a Ceiling Fan

Page 2 of 3
"cybercat" wrote

Ok, hey, the kits are pretty easy to put in so if in doubt and wanting to not have to go back up into the attic more than once, not a bad deal. Both of ours now have a kit. The bedroom one wobbled and it was the mounting as best as we can tell. Took all of 15 mins to add the kit with it's simple screw points to the beams. Lots of different models out there. I think Don said this one cost 15$. Sort of x-shaped and fits over the beams (adjustable) then you put in 3-4 screws on each side of the beam. Supposed to be for really heavy fans I think? Anyways, most sturdy than what was up there.
The livingroom fan already had such a unit a bit like it and that one has never wobbled. It just had the dang thing broken by the renters who seemed to play basketball or something indoors.
cybercat wrote:

Make sure the mounting box is secured to the ceiling joists and it's meant for a ceiling FAN. You'd be surprised what a lot of people think will work. You can find a proper ceiling fan mount at any of the box stores. It's easy to install. Some of your choices are, fans with remote controls if your not 3 wired for separate fan and light controls. Separate dimmer switch and fan switch control on wall. Fan only, fan with light kit, size of fan, use of down rod depending on height of ceiling. Flush mount. Ceiling fans are not only for looks they move air in the right directions, so take that into consideration. In Summer, you want the fan to take cool air with sinks, up into the fan to spread it throughout the room. In Winter you want to take hot air which rises down to the floor, all this is done with the fan direction switch. You have many choices and only you can make that decision.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Okay. The joists are the wood supports above the drywall, right?

I did not know any of this. Thanks for your input.
cybercat wrote:

Yes

One thing about size, does the one installed now look like it belongs there? Sometimes depending on room size they look like they disappear. You don't want that look. Get as big of one as you can that does not look out of place.
Take a look at my website for ideas.
http://rentmyhusband.co.nr /
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

I have two Hampton Bays that were cheap and both work great. I only paid $60 for one of them, maybe $90 for the other. They are quiet, zero vibration.
I also have a Hunter fan that's 24 years old and came with the house. In the literature the previous owner left there was a price guide. This sucker cost $275 - 325 back in 1984. And guess what? It's not even reversible! They did offer an optional kit that would make it reverse. It's a contraption with a lever that flips the pitch on the blades! Unbelievable. Also, unlike my cheap fans, it does make some noise. Fans have come a long way since then. If you adjusted that price for inflation, it would probably be about double today, or $600. And for less than $100 you can get one that's much better.

Yes but most fans today are not built in the USA. Most are now built in China, so only time will tell if they outlast the older ones. I doubt they will.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Another good word for HB!
cybercat wrote:

Hunter *originals* (they sell cheaper ones too) are among the more expensive fans but it will be the last fine you'll ever need to buy (as long as you keep oil in the reservoir). Any fan may shake or shimmy unless/until you balance the blades.
http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/cat_ceiling_fans_results.php
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I saw a lot of Hunter fans today! None quite right, but both Lowe's and HD had pretty limited selection in the kind we wanted. (Meaning no stem because the ceiling is too low, right size and color, that sort of thing.) I plan to order one online because I want golden oak or maple blades and they were rare in the box stores.

Good to know. I'll visit the site below. Thank you.

Hunter is my favorite brand. On some of the cheapies I have seen in the past the blade pitch is such that the just don't move any air. Turn the sucker on high and it shakes, rattles, knocks and swings but stand under it and you can't even feel a good breeze. My current Hunter is perfectly still on high and moves enough air to have the bedroom curtains all wiggling about when it is on high.
Be aware that most of the fans have multiple mounting options so the one you are looking at may be able to mount differently. On the ones I just replaced you could do the downrod mounts or the upper "bell" could be attached directly to the fan and then to ceiling mount. Go to http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/hunter_advantage.php and look half way down the page and you will see what I mean about the different ways to mount. Steve B.

Hunters are fine. I like Casablanca as well. Stay away from the no-name brands that Lowes and HD sells. They're crap.
My philosophy on fans is much like paint. Buy the good stuff, it's too much of a pain to have to re-do it again in a year.
01dyna wrote:

rated. I had one of their fans for 16 years with NO problems. Anyone who automatically thinks the "name" brands are always better probably thinks the highest price gas is better too.
Lou

In the last Consumer Reports, it still was.. BEHR brand
Rudy wrote:

Thanks! Good reason to avoid it.
--
Black candidate endorsed by former Exalted Cyclops and Grand Kleagle of the
KKK! Film not at 11 or any other time... you\'re not supposed to know this.
cybercat wrote:

Remote control is nice so you don't have to get out of bed after working up a sweat.

...and you live alone did you say? :-)
On 5/17/2008 6:22 PM Red Green spake thus:

Last I checked, living alone didn't necessarily mean *sleeping* alone ...
conversation with the average voter.

Ahh, a technocrat!
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Inventing a complicated, but believable, excuse to leave is exhausting ("I have to go" is an example). Getting out of bed to adjust the fan, then getting lost on the return trip, is much easier.

Are you thinking anyone believes that you are in this much demand?