Buying a Ceiling Fan

Page 1 of 3
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten years ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed for the whole ten years, too.
My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three others in the house.
My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for one of the better models.
Thanks, you guys are just great!

The better brands are quiet and smooth. The cheap ones rattle and shake. I've not bought one in a while so I'm not sure what brands are best these days.
wrote in message

Excellent, I would not have thought of that! Thank you. I just looked at the Lowe's and HD web sites, and they start very cheap, so that for $100 I could have a mid-range one.
"cybercat" wrote

Thats what we did. 2 weeks later I saw the identical model for 35$ at Kmart <grin>. I would not have know it was a decent model though if I hadnt seen it working at Lowes. Paid 75$ (this is the smaller one for the bedroom).
wrote in message

Got to WalMart. You can get one for 29 bucks that sways like a hula dancer at no extra charge.
thought of that! Thank you. I just looked

Cocktail hour, eh?

The ceiling fan in my bedroom cost $30 at K-mart about 9 years ago. It's only rattled once in that time. Then the screws that hold the blades on had come loose.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Whatever one goes best with your decor (female decider) that they're selling at Lowes or Home Depot
wrote in message

That would be the women *you* hang out with, apparently. My husband and I agreed on the decorative elements on one of them today, but I did not want it because I did not like the fact that it took three 40-watt fru-fru lightbulbs that Lowe's did not even carry.

Smart move. Those bulbs usually give off odd colored light and burn out fast.
"cybercat" wrote

2 pieces of advice. 1- have him take a peek at the attic side of the fan 'foundation' to make sure the rattling isnt from poor construction up there. He may need to reinforce something. It's good to know in advance so if he needs to get anything else, he can do it in the same trip. 2- If you can, try to look at a place that has the fans actually setup with a demo one in use. Lowes etc usually has that. Some of them don't look as spiffy as you may think from the box picture.
I made a reverse mistake and got one that looks too spiffy for the bedroom <grin>. I need to get new leaves for it in a more dummied down style. Thats easy to replace though.

Excellent idea, thank you! Lowes it is. I think Ace Hardware also has them set up, or one around here does. HD tends to be more expensive from what I have seen.

:) I saw some pretty fancy ones for $250. Our kitchen is tiny, typical 1960s split level, three doors going off of it, one to the hall, one downstairs, one to the dining room. One of those built-in tables coming off one wall, that sort of thing. My preference would be to gut the whole thing, but that is not a priority at the moment. I wish it was.
what are the factors I should consider when buying one?
One thing I think important is getting one that isn't too small for the room. http://tinyurl.com/6xmob9
wrote

about 14X14, the current fan is a 52-inch. The ceiling is nine feet. I think another 52-inch is what we will get. Thank you.
"cybercat" wrote

They also have the kits at that site to reinforce mounting if there's a problem causing the wobbles up above. Lowes probably has them too.

husband has been wrong.

Are you sure you're not wrong about that?
wrote >

Oh please. I am never wrong, I am the WIFE. :D
cybercat wrote:

check this site out
http://www.ceiling-fan-wizard.com /
--