Buy or rent a pressure washer?

Page 2 of 2
Walter R. wrote:

I've got a 2300psi Generac model powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine that works great. Personally, I'd never rent one. Once you've got one, you will come up with plenty of uses for it, plus it will always be there for you when you need it, assuming you don't buy one of those little electric POS units instead.
I speak from experience. My first one was electric and didn't last a whole season.
It seems like I paid about $350 or so for mine from Lowes or HD... can't remember now. I've had it for about 4 years.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

As to buying or renting, I look at how many times I will use it per year vs the cost of rental and the cost of purchase. Also factor in maintenance costs.
I was building a fence and needed an air compressor and nail gun. But I took a couple of months to build the fence. In this case, it made more sense for me to purchase the nail gun and air compressor. Then I could take my time building the fence. Also I use these for other projects.
In the case of splitting firewood and getting a log splitter, it costs $60 a day for rental and around $1400 to buy a splitter. I only need it two days a year and it could easily cost $25 or $50 just to fix it when needed. So makes a whole lot of sense to rent instead of buy in this case. Also stick $1400 in the bank at 5% interest and you would get around $70 a year.
Then think storage. Might not want to buy equipment you seldom use if you don't have much storage space for the equipment.