buy cheaper insulation where?

I need to winterize my house and need whole bunch of insulation: under floorboards, attic, heating duct, windows, ..

Is HD my best bet or are there specialty stores that sell these things cheaper?

Reply to
peter

You should try calling an insulation contractor, you will be amazed at how affordable it is. Very VERY close to what you would pay for just the insulation itself. Example, I just added a 2nd floor on my home, I did it mostly myself with the exception of the insulation and the plastering. I knew exactly how much of each size I needed, priced it at home depot and knew what it was going to cost. One of my family members suggested I get a price from someone to do it, that they had just done it at their home. I called 2 different local insulation contractors, both were within 100$ of eachother. My cost just for the insulation and the rigid air baffles/dams for the rafter space was roughly 2000$ at das' depot, their total price for the same with installation was 2200$. What would have taken me probably 2 weekends to do, they did in a day, they sent 3 guys out, one guys was cutting everything and the other two were hanging it. It was exactly as my plans specified and the work was flawless. Best 200$ I ever spent. They either get a very decent discount from their suppliers on the insulation or they pay their guys pennies.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Wilke's Insulation over on Park Street is the cheapest around.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Periodically HD and Lowes have sales (check your ads). Both (in this area) provide a free but heavy blower for the Cellulose insulation (made from at least 75 percent recycled material and requires 2 people to lift the device.) Installation is a 2 person job even if your doing roll fiberglass. Neither provide free delivery even with large purchases. (in my case 60 bales of insulation requires a truck.) Storage becomes an issue if you can't install it on the day of delivery. Better hurry if your making a blower type insulation - neither would guarantee a unit on a specific date (true as the temperature gets colder and people see their heating bills.)

I talked with a couple of insulation installers at a recent home show who "verbally quoted" me prices of $1.50 - .75 square foot for blown insulation. Everything was "subject" to adjustment before a formal quote could be made. And while they kept emphasizing that people in "our region" needs R48 levels that was not the level they were quoting for the $1.50-.75 installation..... sigh. Make sure you GET what you pay for if you go that route. (Quote needs to include the number of batts or bags to be installed.) Get references!!!!

A more realistic R factor is probably R25-R30 over existing atticinsulation

It does cost more to do fiberglass than the Celleulose attic insulation but you can install it at your leisure versus getting a blower.

REMIND MYSELF TO FOLLOW MY OWN ADVICE :)

Reply to
mcfriendly