Buy a bilge pump?

A store near me has 12 volt, 800 GPH bilge pump for $13.19. Clearance. They have three of them.
Ebay, they run $30 including shipping.
What uses would a person have for a bilge pump? A person who does not own a boat.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Back-up sump pump if you have an attached garage you could run a cord to the pump from your car, at least for a while till the car battery died ..
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 21:14:09 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Buy the bilge pump, and the bilge will come.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:14:09 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

They are handy for pumping out just about anything (fish tanks toilet tanks washing machines, whatever)
I was sinking some PVC pipe for pilings and I used a bilge pump to pump out the water before I placed the concrete in there.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 3, 9:14 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Joe Pesci's character in Lethal Weapon 4 would tell you to "pump it out your ****ing ass"...
In your case that that might be perfect advice if you bought a bilge pump without owning a boat...
Avast Ye Matey...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I guess anybody who has water that needs to be somewhere else.
For example, rain water collected in barrels that could be used to water the lawn.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 07:03:55 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

I wonder how hard they are to drain? That would probably be my only* use; I've got a barn that I could use to catch lots of rainwater, but neither of my garden spots are nearby, so a pump would be useful - but not if it couldn't be properly drained for winter.
* although I don't have a sump pump in the basement, so it'd be useful for the rare times when I need to drain the water heater, too.
Not sure what the startup current would be like on these; google suggests about 3A for normal running, so a PC PSU would work fine there (suitable dummy load on 5V if needed etc.).
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 4, 8:28 am, "Stormin Mormon"

A bilge pump isn't going to be good at doing that. To water a lawn you need a pump designed to develop some pressure so you can deliver it through a spray head, nozzle, etc. A bilge pump is designed to move as much water as possible at very low pressure/lift/
Coupled with a battery and battery tender, it would make a sump pump backup that could move a reasonable amount of water. But even doing that, at 800gph it's not equal to a traditional sump pump.
Add pictures here
✖

It's the kind of tool you get, and then find a dozen uses for. Stuff you used to do the Egyptian way ..... lots of labor and lots of time. I'd take one right now for those times when I needed to drain something. Like my grandkids play pool. It's a PITA to drain with a hose and takes forever, doesn't get all the water, and you end up having to lift the last heavy part by hand. For that price, I'd jump on it.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Number 1 use is as reason for a silly usenet question.

✖