Butt end joints on plywood?

Would butt end joints on T1-11 or plybead panels be less noticeable with narrowly or widely spaced grooves? Also, which will give an area a more spacious feel, narrow or wider grooves?

Thanks.

Reply to
al

I think it would be about the same regardless. What looks good to your eyes or those of the homeowner would be the only criteria. A flashing is typically used between the butt joints which interrupts the look of the product anyway. It's the nature of the beast, the least expensive siding there is.

Reply to
Lawrence

If you're careful to cut the sheets so the grooves line up vertically, I don't see that it would make any difference. If you do not line up the grooves, I suspect it would look weird regardless of the groove spacing.

You might also consider going "grooveless", and just use rough sawn plywood. If you want to enhance the appearance, you can add vertical boards on top to simulate the old "board and batten" style of siding.

We used rough sawn plywood on our house, with the intention of adding the battens. But we were happy with the way the rough plywood looked by itself. Almost like stucco, but stained with an opaque redwood stain.

Regardless of the plywood you use, be sure to use "z-flashing" where the sheets meet.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband