busting up old fence post cement?

What's the easiest (and cheapest....yeah, I know...) way to break up old fence post cement. In adobe soil so the surrounding area ain't too soft either....I've been going at it with a 3 pound sledge, chisel, and was thinking of a 10 pouind sledge, pick/mattock or wrecking bar to try to do the deed ....cheaply. I suppose a rotary hammer would do the job but to use that tool for one job hardly justifies the $150 (for a cheapie) outlay. Don't mind the sweat , just the glacier like speed of destruction. I'm just replacing the uprights as the rest of the fence seems to be survivable for another 5yrs or so.The damned ivy is probably holding up the fenceline better than the uprights. TIA Pat

do
for
some
Thanks for the info- I should add that I'm sistering the posts (PT) to the dry rotted existing (redwood) posts. I'll find more use for the sledge than some high power drill that might see one use a year .
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:14:12 -0700, "patrick mitchel"

I rented an electric jackhammer to bust up concrete in the fence post holes I wanted to use to replace the backyard fence. It worked fine because even though it was rated for only 4" thickness of concrete, I used it at different angles and broke off chunks and dug them out. $70 for 24 hours, including tax. Well worth it.
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:14:12 -0700, "patrick mitchel"

    If I were doing this, I would pull the old post out, concrete and all, and put in a new post and new concrete. The design of the fence may prohibit this, but in the long run it's the least-hassle option.
    You can pull the old ones with a very long lever or a tractor of some sort.
        Good luck.
                Peter

use
just
for
Dry rot at the base- nothing to pull up on.... sistered the uprights...all nice and straight now...thanks for the info guys..Regards Pat