Busted jigsaw motor - fixable?

Page 1 of 3
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0
--
Many of the world's greatest runners come from Kenya because they have a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.

Recycle the copper

Metal ain't worth much.
--
If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap.

I was trying to be environmentally conscious. Throw it in the trash if you want. Around here, I would sit it on the curb and a "scrapper" would take it. One bit of copper may not bring much but when they accumulate a bucket full, it is beer money

Yeah well if he balances it against the gas he burns driving all around town collecting, he's in the hole.
--
Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.
- Calvin Coolidge

These guys make a living at it. Little bits like that motor do not amount to much but they also get bigger things like AC units, white goods and chunks of scrap aluminum. The trucks are usually pretty full when you see them. I always sit my stuff out there and it disappears pretty quickly, although I will admit, since construction has recovered, there are not as many people doing it. It did take a week for a fridge to go away and they used to be gone in a day. OK by me, I scored a spare set of crisper bins, Someone had already taken the ice maker.

There is only one scrap metal guy around here, I hear him shouting for metal only once every 2 or 3 months. When I told him of a freezer to pick up from my house, it took 2 weeks and several reminder phonecalls for him to collect it.
--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."
On Sun, 08 May 2016 14:22:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I dont make a habit of picking up junk, but twice a year a local town has "junk day". People can throw away anything except tires and tv sets and a few other things. They pile the junk on the curbs on Friday and it's all picked up by Sat. afternoon. During that 24 hour period, there are a bunch of people who drive around and grab all the good stuff. Some of them continue doing it late into the night. Knowing from the past that I've gotten quite a bit of useful stuff, I go out early on Friday and just drive around. I've come home with lawn mowers, snow blowers etc., that only need minor work. New building materials that are just left over from jobs, like lumber, bundles of shingles, and so on. Used but good sinks, cabinets, and the list goes on.
They just recently did that. I went to the wealthy side of town first, and got a perfectly good picnic table and chair set, made of metal with a glass top on the table. Aside from a few minor spots of rust, it's perfect. I got a around 150 brand new picture frames still wrapped in their packaging, (which I'll sell to a local guy who sells at flea markets), got one of those expensive park-like benches made with cast iron legs and back, which just needs some new boards on the seat. (heck, I got lots of scrap treated wood to fix that). I also got a few gas cans, an electric guitar which works fine but needs a few strings, several rakes and shovels, a wheerlbarrow that only needs a tire, a few windows, and more....
But my biggest find was a MIG welder, which appears to work, except I dont have the gas that is needed to use it, but it feeds wire and will throw an arc. (I've never used one of them, I only stick weld, but I'll have a friend who welds look at it and if it's worthwhile, I'll buy some gas for it).
Total cost to get all this stuff was about $10 worth of gas to drive around, and I have to admit I had a lot of fun doing it.
What surprised me were the guys who were still doing it (with flashlights) at 2am, when I left the local bar.
It's amazing what some people throw away....
--

As far as the original topic of this thread, ANY motor can be rebuilt at
a motor rebuilding company. Those companies can be found in almost every
On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:43:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If you have flux core wire you don't need the gas for ferrous metals. CO2 has gotten to be ridiculous and argon always was.
On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:59:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I thought about that, and I looked up the welder online. I found the manual. It's a Clarke 100E MK2. According to the instructions, it's ONLY made for use with the gas. The models ending in "EN" can be used with flux core. Actually, I cant understand why the flux core wont work in ANY of these welders???
I know that gas is expensive, and I'd probably have to lease the tank too. In all honesty, if I do have to get the gas, I'll probably sell the welder on Craigslist. I dont weld that much stuff, but on a farm, there is always something that needs to be welded. I have gotten by for years with my stick welder, and if I cant do it with that, I'd rather just pay the local welding shop to do it. Even if the gas lasts me a few years, for the little welding I do, if I have to pay a yearly tank lease, it's probably not worth it.
I guess I just dont know enough about wire welding (MIG welding) to know if I can use flux core with it or not. I've never claimed to be a welder, but I can usually fix the heavy ferrous metals with my stick welder, even if it's not the nicest looking job. But welding thin metals (like a car body), is impossible with a stick welder. I was told these MIG welders work well for thinner stuff like that.
On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:27:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Talk to the guy at the welding store.
On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:43:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thats what I plan to do tomorrow.

I assume you mean in price. Odd how they claim we're giving off too much CO2 for that global warming bullshit, yet it's more expensive to buy it‽
-- Why do men find it difficult to make eye contact? Breasts don't have eyes.

Do they not recycle for you round there? We have 5 different bins collected from our homes here, between weekly and 3-weekly. 1) Waste. 2) Garden waste. 3) Paper/card/plastic/metal. 4) Glass/batteries/anything electrical like the jigsaw/usable clothes. 5) Food waste.
--
New here? Pull up a chair and we'll plug you in.

They are very selective about what they take, it is a single stream facility and I think they end up burning most of it. They pluck out the clean aluminum, magnet out the steel and do a very rough sort of the rest. It really makes more sense to burn paper and plastic in the waste to energy plant than to truck it 1000 miles to a plant that will lose money recycling it.

Dunno what the costs are here, as the government is probably subsidising the recycling out of my taxes without my permission.
--
Barber: "Your hair is getting grey."
Customer: "Try cutting a little faster."

That is always the case. At best it is a make work job for everyone in that recycling stream. If it made financial sense, people would do it without using tax money (like collecting aluminum cans and the scrap metal we are talking about). There are places where scrap paper has some small value but only if you are near a place where it can be reprocessed into a product. You would be trucking it past pulpwood farms to get to a place like that here and the diesel to get the there costs more than the pulp wood.

Making work for people is stupid. If there isn't enough work to go round, don't create more work, give each person less work. Divide the sensible work evenly between everybody.
--
It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

On 5/8/2016 10:23 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Does the motor have brushes? The sparking looks like a motor with worn brushes. Easily replaced on most.

The brushes look fine. I've been down that road before only to find it was because a coil was overloading the brushes.
--
Worlds most powerful nob enlarger - a space suit with a fly zip