Bust up a cast iron bathtub

Page 1 of 2
Tiny bathroom renovation. 5-ft built-in 50-year-old cast iron bathtub needs to come out. Because of the configuration, it can't come out in one piece. I need to bust it up.
My SawsAll is on its last legs. Tried cutting some CRS with a metal blade and it just laughed at me.
I have 5-lb. and 10-lb. hammers with sharp cold chisels and the labor to use them but no room to swing the hammers.
I have a right-angle grinder and can put a metal-cutting blade on it. Slow. Noisy. Lots of sparks. Most of all slow.
I also have an OA rig but am afraid of setting the house on fire.
What's the best way to bust one of these suckers up?
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com
On 6/30/2012 5:52 PM, Frank J Warner wrote:

A few well placed explosive shaped charges should do nicely. ^_^
TDD
Rental place, electric jack hammer? I mean, to make bore holes for the explosives.
A few well placed explosive shaped charges should do nicely. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:52:25 -0700, Frank J Warner

Get a new sawzall if you must-- and a blade called 'the torch'. Get the blade first- chances are you won't need a new saw.
About 3 'swings' - [not enough room in my bathroom for a SWING] and things started jumping off the shelves in the pantry below the bathroom.
20 minutes with the sawsall & it was in 2 pieces right where I wanted it to split.
Jim

We loaded up one with dry ice, let it frost over and a few good whacks with a 10# hammer did the job. Note there is a good possibility that a few more whacks of a standard room temp tub would have done the job as well. Cast iron is brittle.

My old boss, back when I was doing more heating. Said there are some guys who just thrive on busting up old cast iron. tubs, boilers, etc.
Go to Home Depot, and look in the phone book for plumbing wholesale. Ask for phone numbers of guys who love to bust up cast iron.
I've never seen this in person, but boss said that several times, over a period of years. Might be true.
Tiny bathroom renovation. 5-ft built-in 50-year-old cast iron bathtub needs to come out. Because of the configuration, it can't come out in one piece. I need to bust it up.
My SawsAll is on its last legs. Tried cutting some CRS with a metal blade and it just laughed at me.
I have 5-lb. and 10-lb. hammers with sharp cold chisels and the labor to use them but no room to swing the hammers.
I have a right-angle grinder and can put a metal-cutting blade on it. Slow. Noisy. Lots of sparks. Most of all slow.
I also have an OA rig but am afraid of setting the house on fire.
What's the best way to bust one of these suckers up?
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com
Frank J Warner wrote:

just busted one out with a sledge hammer 20# got it to busted up a little then it cracked in half and took it out in 2 pieces and a few smaller ones

I agree. I did one a couple of years ago.
Go to http://YouTube.com and do a search for "cast iron tub removal" and there are lots of links to videos like these on how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
_Cd3NJg8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tguostAwk5Y

Like most others said, a sledge will do it. Besides safety glasses, I would also cover the tub with a tarp, and hit through the cloth tarp. I got this advice after I took a piece of flying/bouncing shrapnel right in the forehead. The tarp does work!

Good Idea!!!

I was hoping someone mentioned that. I used a blanket.
Harry K

Not been my experience. Even after I got it out of the bathroom where I could take a good over the head swing, it took several whacks to start a crack- and a couple more to break it--- and not where I wanted it to break.
Jim

I used a pickaxe. Point worked real good.

Make sure all bathers are out of the tub first!!!!
Bust up the bathers, and sell them for scrap, too?
That could be the ride of a lifetime. Scooter and his brother Stinker are in the tub. Dad comes in, and sledge hammers the tub into pieces, and carries it off. Two days later, the family is in the car, and Stinker calls from the back seat "Hey, Dad! Bust up the car!"

Make sure all bathers are out of the tub first!!!!
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:52:25 -0700, Frank J Warner

Too bad you cant get it out in one piece. Cast iron tubs are worth quite a lot of money for resale. And if you do bust it up, sell the metal for scrap. That too is bringing a high price.
On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 01:11:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Some footed tubs are worth quite a bit. As for scrap, don't get too excited. Cast iron is about the lowest ($200 per ton?) and with a porcelain coating on it. it will be pennies a pound. Last I was it was "no charge" to take it.
On Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:52:25 PM UTC-4, Frank J Warner wrote:

You've talked yourself out of pretty much every rational means of removing the tub, so I guess it's in there permanently...
Come on, how tight is it? It can't possibly be THAT tight that you can't swing a hammer AT ALL. All you need is a couple half-assed hits, and the tub will shatter like a pickle jar.
On Jul 1, 7:05am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yep. The tub alone has to be wide enough for a fairly good swing on the inside.
Harry K