Burnt smell from vent

Hi, I had a new HVAC system installed a few months ago. All of a sudden today, from one of the vent, we are getting a burnt like smell coming from one vent. i checked down stairs where the unit is and i don't smell anything. When the floor where the vent is, the smell is strong. Any clues as to who to determine what this is? Other than that smell, which is starting to fill the house...the unit seems to be working fine.
(Unfortunately, i can't call the contractor that installed the system because he's just disappeared...no one seems to be able to get a hold him..).
farseer wrote:

I would say check your belt on the squirrel cage but I'm betting it doesn't have one if it's a new system. But worth pulling the cover off to check for something falling against a warm part and making an odor?
Good luck, Rich
If it was the furnace smell should be from all vents. Your local fire dept might help for free
It seems to be coming from only one vent. i checked the house, but nothing seems to be burning or smoking. I looked at the unit and took off the side cover and put my nose to work...no burnt smell by the unit or in the basement. this is driving me crazy..
On Dec 14, 10:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Check all of your Xmas lights!
Seriously!
farseer wrote:

If today is the first time this season you've activated your heater, you can expect some toasted lint and fried spiders that have accumulated since the last time the heat was on.
Forget about it.
Crazy...this turned out to be a cabinet highlight light (the ones on the top of the cabinet) that the painter had turned upside down (such that the light was shining directly on to the cabinet). It almost burnt right through the cabinet...