Burnt Countertop - Looking for drop in cutting board

We recently had a little accident with a large Yankee Candle. The candle burned down to practically nothing, but then instead of just going out, like hundreds of others we've burned in the past, the wick kept on burning, heating the glass jar to the point where it shattered. It left a huge burn mark on the top of our formica countertop (~10 years old).

We've been thinking about doing new countertops anyways, but it's a little too much $$ at this point - we've got alot of other projects going on. But - the burn mark coicidentally is right in the spot where we do all our food preparation.

So - I thought maybe we could cut that part of the countertop out, and replace it with some sort of flush-mounted cutting board. I'm sure I've seen these somewhere before. I think it had a lip, like a drop-in sink. But - Home Depot was no help (surprise !), and I've Googled the internet - without any success.

Can anyone help me out finding a site that sells these ?

Thanks - Shawn

Reply to
Shawn P. Good

Use any cutting board. Whoever makes the counter top cut out for it can also surely put a lip on a cutting board.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Corning Ware used to make them with a nice chrome edging... just cut a hole, drop it in, and tighten sink-like edge-clamps.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Try

and search for vance glass surface savers.

Cathi

Reply to
Lee & Cathi Thomas

There's one lipped board here that you could just sit on top of the counter until you redo the counter tops. I've bout them in Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma. There are probably other retail sellers too.

Try
and search for vance glass surface savers. >

Reply to
RB

Most grocery stores have a couple sizes of the white poly style in the kitchenwares aisle, not really large, but cheap and easy to replace. If you want smaller, you could also route it to size...

Reply to
<anythingnospam

My inquiring mind wants to know:

Did you bring the accident to the attention of the candle maker or the place you purchased the candle from?

If so, what was their response?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you have a Menards in your area try them. I remember seeing one about a year ago that looked like frosted glass with a stainless steel lip around it. Was just browsing around when I noticed it and thought it was cool looking.

Reply to
vairxpert

I hope it would be the same as mine: "Too bad. Get over it."

Reply to
Mark

My first thought was the same, thinking it was a bare candle placed on a counter. However, the OP writes, it *was* in a glass container of some sort, presumably supplied by the manufacturer. Not in the line of "sue the pants off 'em," but simply as a point of information, it would seem reasonable to call their 800 # and report the incident.

Reply to
Frogleg

Information is another story. It sure read like it was going down the line of "sue em".

Reply to
Mark

Well, if it turned out that the manufacturer had bought an essload of cheap glass jars which had a proclivity to freqently shatter like that, and there was no warning in the packaging saying that might happen, then they could well be found responsible for damages.

The average person would probably consider the jar a "candle holder" and expect that it could be placed on any stable surface, lit, and left to burn out without concerns about it shattering. Thank God all the OP suffered was a scorched countertop. Under other scenarios he might have lost his wife and kids in a horrific house fire. That wouldn't make a "Too bad. Get over it." answer easy to swallow, would it?

If what happened to the OP happened to me, I'd damn well bring the matter to the attention of the maker and seller, if for no other reason that to alert them to the possibility that something worse could happen. If they got similar comments from a dozen or so others, they might just think about doing something about the problem.

Isn't this the kind of situation that sometimes necessitates product recalls?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I checked back to the web site and a number of sensible cautions for use are posted, incl. not leaving burning candles unattended. The OP didn't suggest any leaning toward litigation -- all she wants is a chopping board, now that she has an obvious place to chop a hole for it. :-) My only concerns for that would be that the seating be such that the board could be removed and bits of things easily cleaned out of the surround. Otherwise, I'd want it smoothly grouted/cemented in place so that chopped bits *didn't* get lost. I am of the belief that a wooden surface, regularly wiped clean and occasionally (or every time raw meat is in play) rubbed down with a little bleach-water or disinfectant of choice is adequate for food safety. Others have more rigorous methods.

Reply to
Frogleg

Jesus. Give it a rest. Go slip on a sidewalk somewhere and hire an ambulance chaser.

Reply to
Mark

So, just where in any of my remarks on this subject did I say anything about suing anybody? You're the one who brought that up Mark.

If I was the manufacturer I'd damn well want to hear about any possible product defect early on so that I could do something about it before it reached potentially bankrupting proportions.

You sound like the kind of "caring person" who just says "TS, fughedid" when someone has a problem that doesn't directly affect you. That's not the way I choose to live my life.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Nice try. Please explain how someone would "be found responsible for damages" without suing them? Those are your words.

Stop the back peddling and get off of it. Enjoy the last word - the horse is dead.

Reply to
Mark

I was only stating what a worst case scenario for the manufacturer might be, Mark., I wasn't saying it'd be *me* who started the law suit. Isn't the accident the OP had the kind of thing which makes responsible manufacturers buy product liability insurance?

Agreed, and peace be with you. (I've got enough people not liking me already, I don't need to develop one more.)

Best Regards,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia