Burning Tree Stumps

It's rough work trying to get stumps down to ground level with an ax. Used a stump grinder earlier this summer, but missed two small ones which were "hiding" under a honesuckle patch.
Someone suggested using a metal can with top and bottom removed, filled with charcoal. Any other tips? Is it necessary to poke holes in the sides? If so, what tool is used, that won't flatten the can? Thanks
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:50:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.net (BroJack) wrote:

It won't flatten the can if you support the interior with a wooden 2x4. You could drill holes into each stump and fill it with potassium nitrate (salt peter)--that will help the stumps to burn, or it will hasten the stump to rot.
You use an old fashion beer opener to punch the side of the can all the way around before you use the can opener to take the bottom off. A coffee can works but it stinks until the paint burns off. An empty paint can from the BORG would be better.
I've heard of drilling holes in the stumps, and fill the holes with powdered milk. Supposed to rot it out faster. I've not tried this, can't say if it works.
Don't waste your time with a chainsaw. Dulls the chain far too rapidly. Sawzall is good, use cheep blades from Harbor Freight. I took out a stump last year with a sawzall, and a come along tool. Several days work.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Take the can and fill it with water and freeze it. The ice will provide enough of a backing to let you drill or punch the holes in it and then you can just remove the bottom with a can opener.
Check with your muncipality about open fire regulations before you do this though, as you may need a permit, or it may not be allowed at all. If the fire department is called to come to your house and you haven't done the proper paperwork, they're going to be very unhappy, and your pocketbook will too!
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:52:47 GMT, "Sunflower"

to be "Bar-b-queing"
Heh!
<< Someone suggested using a metal can with top and bottom removed, filled with charcoal. >>
Urban legend, doesn't work, been there, done that. Don't waste any time trying, simply rent the stump grinder and get rid of the offending left over stumps. Good luck.
Joe

The way I always heard the trick, you are supposed to soak the stump with Kerosene first and the charcoal fire has to go all day. I figure it is worth a bag of charcoal to find out. Cook some weenies while you are at it, so it won't be a total waste.
Greg wrote:

So basically, you're supposed spend the entire day babysitting some charcoal fire so that you don't have to spend 2 hours with an axe...
If you're going to burn the stump out, use thermit.

hmmm sit around drinking beer, toast a few dogs and watch TV, poke a fire every hour or so vs swinging an axe for 2 hours. I know which one I will go for.
On 17 Sep 2004 16:53:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

what brand of beer?

Now there's a man with a grip on the situation. I'm having a Bud but there is an assortment in the fridge, help yourself. Dog or a brat?
On 17 Sep 2004 19:48:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

Far out...

Brat please...:)
Now there is my kind of fun.. er I mean yard work, right.
(Greg) wrote:

Red hot. Ketchup. Chips. Diet Coke.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Gene wrote:

Speaking of which, I had a 50 foot Elm tree that died this year, taken down yesterday. Have you ever smelled a freshly cut Elm tree? It smells like wine.
As a LDS person, I'd ask after the brand of hot dogs. Mormons don't drink alcohol.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Assuming you can do it safely, burning is the best way!! I've chopped, ground, and burned and the burning is the best way.
Drill lots of holes and soak the stump in diesel then light her up. A complete burn can take days so you need to make sure the fire won't spread.