Burning PTL

I've always heard that you should not burn pressure treated lumber, but never why. Now I have a large pile of PTL that I have to burn or pay to plant in the landfill. What is the reason not to burn?
Thanks, John
Add pictures here
βœ–
johnny wrote:

Geez, I had forgotten about her. Seems to be nothing but a troll then.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
"John T. Howard" wrote in message

This gal used to post in alt.building.construction, she was/is on a mission to eliminate CCA wood. Her campaign obviously had an effect, because you can not buy CCA for residential use any longer. She claims/claimed health problems as a result of her neighbor constantly burning CCA treated wood. Here's what a Google search turned up with her name and PT lumber. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q ήborah+barrie+pressure+treated&btnG=Search
Add pictures here
βœ–

Burning it releases the chemicals that were used in treating it into the air. If you breathe the fumes, it's not good for you. Older PT lumber used CCA (chromated copper arsenate); burning that crap releases arsenic. The newer stuff (AC2) is IIRC a chromium and copper compound, without the arsenic. Chromium isn't as bad for you as arsenic, but it's not too good either.
Do a Google search on burning pressure treated lumber. You'll find a lot of good information, and a little bit of hysteria.
βœ–
John T. Howard wrote:

I'd burn it. But if you're uncomfortable with that, instead of hauling it to a dump, take it to a schoolyard. At night.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I read that subject line, and thought someone was going to light Tammy Faye on fire. From the PTL 700 club....
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Arsenic. <http://snipurl.com/e04q
Add pictures here
βœ–

pieces as teethers. Just be sure to wash it off -- don't want no nasty germs hurting the kiddos.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Clarke wrote: ....

You have any documentation/citation for that claim? I'd be real surprised to hear of any that were specifically CCA-caused that wouldn't have also occurred w/ non-CCA material from CO, for example.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Old PT lumber is known as CCA... the A is arsenic. If you burn it, the arsenic is going to end up in the smoke. People have died by burning this stuff in a woodstove.
--
This signature left blank.

Add pictures here
βœ–

CCA contains arsenic. Burning CCA creates trace quantities of AsH3 (Arsine). Arsine is rather hideously toxic.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
βœ–

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
βœ–
Andy Hill wrote:

You guys are sick. PTL can be recycled for use in syphilis treatment, pest control and glass making.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow. And here i thought they were just goofing on you for being simple.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus