Burning PTL

Geez, I had forgotten about her. Seems to be nothing but a troll then.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've always heard that you should not burn pressure treated lumber, but never why. Now I have a large pile of PTL that I have to burn or pay to plant in the landfill. What is the reason not to burn?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John T. Howard

This gal used to post in alt.building.construction, she was/is on a mission to eliminate CCA wood. Her campaign obviously had an effect, because you can not buy CCA for residential use any longer. She claims/claimed health problems as a result of her neighbor constantly burning CCA treated wood. Here's what a Google search turned up with her name and PT lumber.

johnny

Burning it releases the chemicals that were used in treating it into the air. If you breathe the fumes, it's not good for you. Older PT lumber used CCA (chromated copper arsenate); burning that crap releases arsenic. The newer stuff (AC2) is IIRC a chromium and copper compound, without the arsenic. Chromium isn't as bad for you as arsenic, but it's not too good either.

Do a Google search on burning pressure treated lumber. You'll find a lot of good information, and a little bit of hysteria.

Doug Miller

I'd burn it. But if you're uncomfortable with that, instead of hauling it to a dump, take it to a schoolyard. At night.

Reply to
HeyBub

I read that subject line, and thought someone was going to light Tammy Faye on fire. From the PTL 700 club....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Arsenic.

Reply to
tm

Naw, take it to a daycare center. The tots just l-o-v-e to use PT lumber pieces as teethers. Just be sure to wash it off -- don't want no nasty germs hurting the kiddos.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Ed Clarke wrote: ....

You have any documentation/citation for that claim? I'd be real surprised to hear of any that were specifically CCA-caused that wouldn't have also occurred w/ non-CCA material from CO, for example.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Old PT lumber is known as CCA... the A is arsenic. If you burn it, the arsenic is going to end up in the smoke. People have died by burning this stuff in a woodstove.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

CCA contains arsenic. Burning CCA creates trace quantities of AsH3 (Arsine). Arsine is rather hideously toxic.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Log onto

type into the search engine "pressure treated wood arsenic" and click search.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You guys are sick. PTL can be recycled for use in syphilis treatment, pest control and glass making.

Reply to
tm

Wow. And here i thought they were just goofing on you for being simple.

Reply to
tm