Burning PTL

Page 1 of 2
Lumberyard advice is that pressure-treated lumber should not be burned for fireplace heat, because of the metals soaked into it. Inside an airtight wood stove however (the double chimney regularly swept every year), I cannot see any problem.
Don P Ottawa, Canada
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 15:48:43 -0400, Don Phillipson

What about the other people who live nearby? What about you when you go outside?
How is an airtight stove any safer for people than a fireplace?
Airtight means room air doesn't get in the stove, not that air doesn't leave the stove.
Just one of loads of articles: http://lcaqmd.net/DangeroustoBurnTreated.htm

Do you tell the sweep that you've been burning treated wood? So he can wear a respirator or refuse the job?

22 houses between here and the crossroads 3/4 mile distant. Most also have wood stoves. My chimney is about 30 ft. above grade.
The sweeps' health (e.g. exposure to skin cancers) is a valid point. But of course they know soot is corrosive (and contain soot mainly so as not to offend householders.)

Local regulations cited at this URL permit dumping waste wood in landfill, not allowed here. The three harmful chemicals discussed include creosote, found in all timber (abundant in resinous softwoods.) Something seems fishy about "a misdemeanor . . . liable for severe civil penalties."
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 6/29/2013 4:30 PM, Don Phillipson wrote: ...

Why's that?
A misdemeanor means it's "only" a (relatively) minor criminal violation. That has nothing whatsoever to do w/ civil liability. There could still be heavy fines, etc., for civil suit or administrative fines levied (EPA, etc.)
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 17:30:59 -0400, "Don Phillipson"

And what about your pets and theirs?. And wild animals?

That's a lot. What is your point?

So go ask them if they burn PTL.
I know that Canadian air sometimes blows down to the US, so I'd like you stop.
I offered some free wood when I took down my old deck. When a guy called for firewood, I asked him if he could tell the difference between treated and non-treated, He couldn't so I didn't give him any of it.

So is mine. So are many. I havent' seen any warning make an exception for high chimneys and this isn't even very high.

Corrosive and poisonous are two different things.

The stuff they inhale won't offend the householders. They're going to want to take more precautions if arsenic is involved. They might want to refuse the work.

Why don't you call the government and ask them what they think about burning PTL. Ask them what you should do with it.

But chromated copper arsenate and ammoniacal copper arsenate are not.

Not to me. In some US states, a misdemeanor is a crime for which the max prison term is one year or less. Other penalties can still be high.
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 15:48:43 -0400, Don Phillipson

What about the neighbors down wind?
Don Phillipson wrote:

Bad, bad, bad idea. All my FPs are NG burner. Even out at my cabin. It's not only your chimney. You are releasing toxic gas into the air. Calgary, AB CA
Tammy Faye put on too much makeup, and the studio goes up in flames! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_PTL_Club
What? That's not it? First thing I thought, when I read that subject line. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Lumberyard advice is that pressure-treated lumber should not be burned for fireplace heat, because of the metals soaked into it. Inside an airtight wood stove however (the double chimney regularly swept every year), I cannot see any problem.
Don P Ottawa, Canada
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 15:48:43 -0400, Don Phillipson

adviseable.

Pine is not good for a wood stove.
Greg

You just have to burn it hotter to avoid the creosote buildup. I know people that have burned if for years. I've burned it when I had it.
On 6/30/2013 12:34 AM, gregz wrote:

Pine is fine if it is dry. Wet wood is not good for a wood stove. Best thing to do is get a wood moisture meter.

Listen to the wood. Clink is dry, thunk is wet.
gregz wrote:

Pine and PTL is two different thing.
On 6/30/2013 10:37 AM, Tony Hwang wrote: ...

Virtually all PTL is SYP(ine)...

and spmetimes dome hemlock or Larth thrown in for good measure.
On 6/30/2013 12:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Similar enough that there's no real difference as far as there being no reason to differentiate re: burning characteristics of stove/fireplace outside the treatment itself...

On 6/30/2013 12:37 PM, Bob F wrote:

OK, so less than "virtually all" but certainly "a lot" ...
And the others are all softwoods as well...

softwood"