Burning particle board

It's not allowed to be burned in WA State. Check with your local air quality folks.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

According to Cshenk :

CCA lumber, when burned, generates various arsenic compounds in the air. Including Arsine which is hideously toxic.

The glues will outgas various things, many of them not altogether good for you. Amounts will vary depending on fire temperature etc.

Should not be burned.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.

I know NOT to burn treated lumber.

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard fire pit.

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty chemicals.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Reply to
Frank

Breath deep when you do burn some Frank, enjoy the outdoor fire.

Reply to
observer

Two words I hate: probably and should.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote

I've never done it as I've always heard that. I presume the fumes or something?

Yes, as long as you arent dealing with a chimney flue and cresote then it's ok. Sparks alot though.

If I didnt know what was in it, I'd be hesitant.

Reply to
Cshenk

You asked. Personally, I don't care if you take a running leap at the particle board.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Yeah, Frank. As we said in the sixties, "Take a BIG hit!"

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Burning the pine is OK, just don't cook over it as the food won't taste very good

Do NOT burn the particleboard though.. It has potential nasty stuff in it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
alvinamorey

Your attitude is obvious, Frank.

Reply to
SteveB

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with phenol resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are no worse than burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as arsenicals or chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar nature, it is best land filled.

OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

So you see no problem with the _amount_ of binder? There isn't much in natural wood, there is a whole lot in chipboard or any other "manufactured" sheet goods.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I don't think that's at all what Frank said or intended -- the point is what the chemistry is and what are the _actual_ combustion byproducts produced rather than simply knee-jerk reaction of "bad".

--

Reply to
dpb

If you look at wood chemistry:

compare to phenolic resin:
see a lot of similarity. Both when completely burned give carbon dioxide and water. That's why I say the composite should be as safe to burn as wood.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

According to Frank :

"Completely burned" is the key here. In an open fire, will phenol formaldehyde resin _completely_ burn, or will significant quantities of outgas "escape" without burning. Certainly, in a contained/controlled high temperature furnace, it'll only emit CO2 and water. But an open fire is _very_ different.

Most locally available softwoods (especially pine) are essentially entirely non-toxic. You can eat it - you can't digest it, but it won't poison you. Phenols and formaldehyde are toxic. Phenols are also known to have relatively high decomposition temperatures. Takes quite a bit to get bakelite to "properly" burn, and in open air the burn isn't even remotely "clean".

You don't want to be near burning bakelite (particle board is essentially wood fibers in a bakelite matrix by implication of that link). I've encountered overheated/scorched/burned bakelite in electrical equipment. It ain't just CO2 and water by a long shot.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

It's obvious that you've already made up your mind about which answers are acceptable to you. Why'd you bother asking in the first place?

It burns readily. No, smoke is not good to breathe (duh). The level of pollution it makes may or may not be acceptable to you. Are we done?

Reply to
mike