Burn treated lumber?

Is it OK to save the offcuts of current (non-arsenic) treated lumber to burn in our fireplace next winter, or does it need to be disposed of in some other way?

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

I would not burn any type of treated wood anywhere, dispose of it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thee is potential release of chemicals when burnt. Probably won't affect you in the house, but the neighbors outside.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Never burn treated lumber. Toxic is my understanding. Someone may know different.

Reply to
K, T, E & N

Personally, I wouldn't burn it treated or not. It is undoubtedly softwood and burning that = creasote in the chimney. Stick to hickory, oak...

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

It is very possible to burn softwoods. You just have to know how and keep the fire hotter than with hardwood. You can get nasty buildup of creosote with the wrong burn with any wood. A slow burning woodstove is a potential problem with resinous woods though. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Your Google skills need a little work. Bottom line is no.

Jackson

No. Put the scraps into the garbage.

Reply to
Phisherman

Gladly. I presume you are going to deliver it? There is nothing but softwoods available in this area except for the occasional hardwood removed from residences. There is no problem burning it if you know what you are doing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Why not???? Thats all I burn in my woodstove.......... Just clean the chimney often.

Reply to
mail

All treated wood releases toxins that are potentialy poisonous when burned, you just dont SMELL it. You wouldnt burn railroad ties or varnished or painted wood in your house, you Smell its bad. But treated you dont Smell. Burn it and be an experiment monkey for everyone.

Reply to
m Ransley

So current treated lumber does still contain arsenic? I thought that had been eliminated, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

MB

On 08/27/04 07:01 pm Jackson put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Not Copper Chromium Arsenic-CCA , I dont know what it is now. But do you want to breath fumes of Chemicals Specificaly chemicals you dont know. Do some research, get back and report. I just dont think it is wise breathing what we should avoid, Chemicals.

Reply to
m Ransley

I burn any and all wood in my woodstove. I dont care if it is painted or varnished, or whatever. I also burn all burnable garbage which includes paper, cardboard, plastic, and whatever else. I even burned my old computer keyboard, and it generated lots of heat. If you smell it, your chinmey is clogged or not venting properly. Once the smoke is outdoors, who cares what it smells like....

Note: I have not burned railroad ties, because they are too hard on saw blades.

Reply to
mail

It depends on the type of person you are...If you wear both supsenders and belt, then you should put everything in the trash.

If you only occasionally enjoy a cigarette or a strong drink then burn them at distance.

However, if you are not concerned about the consequences of such things as asbestos, the hole in the ozone layer, or second-hand smoke, then put the "offcuts" in the fireplace and enjoy the glow.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce