Burn spot in formica kitchen counter

In a rental unit, I have a burned spot(about 2" in diameter )on the formica

You could pattern rout some kind of trivet into the formica. I think. Tom

Along those lines, I routed a 9/16" deep area in the countertop to accommodate a nice hardwood cutting board The routed area was completely lined with Formica after being satisfied with the fit. My customer was thrilled and it resulted in several other jobs in the area at $100 each!
My wife and i are landlords also. Our answer would be "It's a rental".