Buried Electrical Wiring in Yard

She's talking about cable tv here, and so I answered about cable tv.

In her other post she talked about using a tiller in the flower beds, where the tv cable had been run. She asked about more than the pond pump.

Reply to
micky

I would use conduit for protection. When I first moved into this house some n*****ts had run underground cable (no conduit) under a flower bed. One of the first things the wife wanted in spring is to redo the flower beds, you can guess what happened. Shovel (was) sharp but survived, had to pitch the underware ;)

John

Reply to
John

Here in Arizona, we recently installed code approved underground cable to a well head. Cost of $5,000 [cheap] to go about 150 feet. including wiring and metering connection to APS utilities. The ditch required minimum depth [can't remember] and this caught me off guard, minimum width! [also can't remember] But it took some guy with a major piece of equipment to dig the trench for over half a day. Plus, WE chiseled out the solid boulders hit here and there. Just to meet the depth/width reuqirements. However, the wiring looked like standard underground cable you can buy at HD. That 10 Gauge two conductor stuff with GND.

You're not attaching directly to the AC Utilities, so you should be able to do your own. Put in proper GFCI breaker setup, get a trencher, dig the minimum depth and width [going around your septic requirements], and drop in such a cable to lay in 'once and for all' power to your pond. Put inside a conduit, or not? *IF* you do, arch the conduit [like a piece of plumbing pipe] so that at each end water can run out to a void area underground [upside down plastic 'bubble'.] Seems like a lot of extra effort, but long run will be worth it. And, I mean long run. The problem can be seen, just envision a conduit that goes down, comes back up, as though it were a buried water hose with wires running through it. Long term collect water and just asking for trouble. If me, I'd use heavy pvc conduit to shield the cable [cables cost way too much to allow accidental nicking] That way, if you forget and accidentally hit the pvc it's sacrificial.

Reply to
Robert Macy