Buried Electrical Wiring in Yard

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 12 May 2013 05:54:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

She's talking about cable tv here, and so I answered about cable tv.

In her other post she talked about using a tiller in the flower beds, where the tv cable had been run. She asked about more than the pond pump.
I would suggest using UF type wire AND putting it in some PVC pipe, probably 3/4 dia, so that if you should dig into it while planting a shrub someday, you will hit the PVC and avoid nicking the UF wire, regardless of the depth.... You don't have to make joints and connectors with the PVC since it is being used only as an open conduit and that makes it cheap and easy. The UF will be resistand to anything that is going to happen...
Just a suggestion, which works well for me, who is always digging around with a shovel somewhere....

Here in Arizona, we recently installed code approved underground cable to a well head. Cost of $5,000 [cheap] to go about 150 feet. including wiring and metering connection to APS utilities. The ditch required minimum depth [can't remember] and this caught me off guard, minimum width! [also can't remember] But it took some guy with a major piece of equipment to dig the trench for over half a day. Plus, WE chiseled out the solid boulders hit here and there. Just to meet the depth/width reuqirements. However, the wiring looked like standard underground cable you can buy at HD. That 10 Gauge two conductor stuff with GND.
You're not attaching directly to the AC Utilities, so you should be able to do your own. Put in proper GFCI breaker setup, get a trencher, dig the minimum depth and width [going around your septic requirements], and drop in such a cable to lay in 'once and for all' power to your pond. Put inside a conduit, or not? *IF* you do, arch the conduit [like a piece of plumbing pipe] so that at each end water can run out to a void area underground [upside down plastic 'bubble'.] Seems like a lot of extra effort, but long run will be worth it. And, I mean long run. The problem can be seen, just envision a conduit that goes down, comes back up, as though it were a buried water hose with wires running through it. Long term collect water and just asking for trouble. If me, I'd use heavy pvc conduit to shield the cable [cables cost way too much to allow accidental nicking] That way, if you forget and accidentally hit the pvc it's sacrificial.