Burglar alarms and home security

There have been documented cases of "double dipping" by theives - and even involvement of salespeople at the stereo/tv reseller tipping off their buddies.
On 4/8/2012 1:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Exactly, if something worked the first time why not do it again?

and guaranteed new stuff too!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd have to believe that would only happen to the 1% crowd (the upper 1% of income). Only they would have enough "stuff" in their house that is valuable enough for someone to come back to *RISK* a second helping.
Also note that maybe 2 to 5 years ago, thieves would have taken flat-screen TV's. Not any more (because they're so cheap). A lot of what used to be hi-end home theater stuff is probably not being stolen any more.

Again, that shit is a dime-a-dozen these days. Your average punk doesn't want to take something that he can't shove into his pockets or knap-sack.
Now, with regard to high-end cars - yes. It has happened lots of times where someone working at a high-end dealership tips off a crew as to where certain people live with their merc or benz or other high-end car, and they can also supply the theives with duplicate keys that they make when the car is in for servicing.
If I lived in the states, I'd have the address on file with any retailer (car dealer, credit card, bank, etc) point to a PO box (not my real house address). Same with my driver's license.
replying to clare, GaryBlack wrote: Home security is important. Burglar alarm give protection your home.
On 4/8/2012 12:13 AM, Ron wrote:

Sounds like they weren't paying attention during that 5 hour course they need to complete to be a cop..

Human nature is to go for the lowest hanging fruit. They already succeeded one time so why not try the easy way again.
George wrote:

The average house doesn't have enough small, high-value shit to come back and risk another break-in.
Some punk who breaks in the first time and finds your gun in the night table and your wife's jewlery on the dresser will notice your 55" plasma in the den - but he sure as hell isin't going to be hassled dragging that down the street, and he knows that every third house is going to have a similar TV so why bother coming back to the same house?

Because they took everything the first time?

Insurance.
On Apr 8, 10:51am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Didn't have insurance it was a rental (yes I know you can get renters insurance). Also, there was a security system installed after the home was broken into. As the OP, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people get security systems installed if their home gets broken into.

Next hint: think.
On 4/8/2012 9:58 AM, Ron wrote:

you have something worth stealing (this is relative, before someone has a stroke!) it's a no-brainer. It's not going to prevent a break in. I prefer to look at the opportunity cost of insurance premiums and deductibles. ie: I get the highest deductible car insurance I can. I dropped State Farm for Century 21 (AIG) years ago because, the opportunity-cost of gold plated car insurance, doesn't make State Farm practical. Of course: YMMV.
I rented for many years and I would have never filed a claim. The only one benefiting would be the Ins co. With insurance it's never black and white. Rather, infinite shades of gray

Just connect 240 volts to the doorknobs. They'll die on your porch, but they wont get into the house. A dead Burglar is a good Burglar.
Robert Green wrote:

"Booby Traps" have been outlawed since at least the Magna Carta in 1216. The reason is simple: There are any number of people who may enter your home without your permission or even knowledge. Examples:
* A peace officer with a valid warrant * A firefighter * A child - children have no criminal capability * A civil tresspasser

Deadfall is so much more descriptive.

You don't know the kids I know!

He fell on the gun would be my claim. (-:
I did realize last night that one thing I can do as a deterrent while not home is to use my Homevision controller to pulse the car alarm when substantial motion is detected. If I hear something out in the driveway late at night, I'll often turn on the LR and side light and tweak the car alarm to make sure it's set. That's certain to give at least a hint of occupancy. Maybe a recording of a pump shotgun racking would help, too.
Last night I was watching a Texas rancher threatening a repo man with a gun, saying he had the right to shoot anyone coming on his property. Don't car loan contracts require that the rancher allow an agent of the bank access to the truck? In the end he backed down, probably because there was a film crew, but he seemed quite sure of himself.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

I'm in Texas and can confidently report that the rancher was wrong. However, a civil contract has no bearing on the criminal law. Also note the following:
Follow along. First a definition:
Texas Penal Code: 28.03. CRIMINAL MISCHIEF. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:         (1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;         (2) he intentionally or knowingly tampers with the tangible property of the owner and causes pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person; or         (3) he intentionally or knowingly makes markings, including inscriptions, slogans, drawings, or paintings, on the tangible property of the owner.
Now check this out (emphasis added):
Texas Penal Code: 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:              (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or CRIMINAL MISCHIEF during the nighttime; or
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:19:13 -0400, "Robert Green"

115hz 50,000 volts on the leading edge of an automotive hood keeps the goodies under the hood safe.
Unless

will
won't
From my limited experience, a lot of times people end up caught in their own booby traps. I had the world's loudest siren mounted inside my van running off a separate battery and triggered by a time delay motion sensor. One day I didn't disarm it in time. The next day I took it out, my ears still ringing.
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:46:46 -0400, "Robert Green"

The old Valiant charged my batteries a few times when I forgot to disarm the hood before checking the oil. Just made me a bit more carefull the next time. Untill I forgot again.
NOBODY would risk opening the hood after the word got around!!!