Bummed out about insulation cost

I WAS talking about "properly fitted fiberglass". I got a quote of $1,050 to put recycled denim insulation in the attic rafters. When I asked him to quote me for the same job using fiberglass, he said it was so much less efficient that they (their company) didn't use it. . .

So you're saying that Denim *is* more efficient, but "not much more"? So would you recommend getting a quote from another company--one that does use fiberglass?

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

I don't know anything about denim as an insulating material--never seen it used so have no data. I'd think it would be possible to Google for detailed specs on it and any other materials and get real data, not just speculation.

I would also get at one other quote just on general principles....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

According to Lesley :

It might be that denim is slightly more efficient than fiberglass. Cellulose is. But both denim and loose blown cellulose have more drastic drawbacks (packdown or soakdown or both).

If you're that concerned, look for someone who can do Rockwool and get a quote.

Rockwool is only a trifle more expensive than fiberglass, is a bit more efficient than fiberglass, and is better than fiberglass in most of the other issues with fiberglass.

Better sound control too.

See

for one brand.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

They even have it now encased in plastic. Its not too bad at all.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

"Lesley" wrote on 20 May 2005:

Denim batts, or blown-in denim?

Denim batts and fiberglass batts have about equal R-values. Cotton blown-in and cellulose blown-in have about equal R-values.

The real work in insulating an attic is putting in the styrofoam, cardboard, or plastic eave vent chutes. If you have no soffit vents (or no soffits), the installer may still have to block off the point where the rafters intersect the top plate to keep blown- in insulation from escaping there. Usually they'll stuff under the chutes or at that point with fiberglass batting. It's not a pleasant job. You lay on your back or stomach on a board in a very tight space.

Once that work is done, laying batts or blowing in the insulation is a piece of cake.

I'm presuming that you already have insulation in the attic. Have you considered just rolling out unfaced fiberglass batts on top of it?

Reply to
Doug Boulter